GP's in Dulwich area

Ris2011

Are most people in the area happy with the GP's? It seems to me that all practices are at max capacity and that getting an appointment is very difficult. Not only do you need to wait 20 minutes plus to speak to reception you then have to wait until a GP calls you back to see if you are ill enough to get an appointment on that day. I have also never seen the same GP at my practice more than once(and those regular GPs are booked weeks and weeks in advanced).

As an area is there anything we can do about either opening a new GP service or improving the service for the people who live in this area?

• 3 months later...

I have moved from DMC to Elm Lodge Surgery in Burbage Road, Herne Hill.

I moved because I was impressed by what I saw of them when I went to a clinic there, and also by the doctor I saw at the clinic who is also a GP there. I wasn't dissatisfied by the doctors at DMC, but by the fact I rarely saw the same one twice.

I phoned Elm Lodge today to ask about the process to order a repeat prescription (for the first time from them), and my heart sank when the receptionist said I had to see a doctor first.

I was mega impressed when they apologised for not having an appointment today but could give me one for tomorrow.

Not only that, but it's at twenty to six, so wouldn't have been the end of the world if I was working.

Hoping that this is typical of the rest of their practice!

My home near North Cross Road is within their catchment area, and it's a short drive or bus ride (37) although I've also walked there and back. Not so convenient for me as DMC which was just round the corner, but I'm hoping the overall experience will be a lot better.

In over 40 years at Forest Hill Road Group Practice I've still never had cause to complain. If I need to be seen as an emergency, I have always been able to get a same day appointment; if it's routine, then I don't object to a wait of a few days to see the GP of my choice, but all of the doctors at the practice seem to be very good at present. The reception staff are almost always polite, friendly, and very helpful - when I'm waiting in the queue to speak to a receptionist, I'm regularly shocked by the disgraceful way some patients speak to the staff. I've also rarely experienced long waits on the phone, and usually get to speak to someone within a couple of minutes.

The reason all GP surgeries are struggling with appointments is because demand is wildly outstripping supply. Simply not enough GPs to go around, not many GPs wanting to take on jobs in practices because the workload is overwhelming, therefore most practices are running at 1-2 GPs less than they would need to offer full services.

Plus, people expect same day appointments for minor issues that in the past there would have been some resilience about looking after yourself...hence escalating demand even further.

Added to this the government funding is falling, not enough new GPs being trained and general GP bashing going on every day in the media (see Daily Mail).

Be kind to your GP practices, they are all struggling.

I got a next day appointment for something not urgent (see above), and when I got there today I was seen promptly.

Also I was very impressed by the doctor.

I'm really glad I finally moved. The whole process was really easy.

It is really easy to move GP.

Just identify a decent practice which has your address in its catchment area, download a form from their website (or collect one from the surgery), fill it in and take it to the surgery with proof of address.

Job done. They do the rest.

And geobz, a large part of the reason there is no money for vital things like the NHS and education is that in the early nineties (?I think) the Tories promised to cut income tax to make sure they'd be elected.

And now of course no politian would want to put it back to its previous level because people would apparently rather have a bit more in their pay packets than contribute towards vital things like the NHS.

I'm a community based physio dealing with patients who have just come home from hospital after major surgery not in this area. My patients have GP's from many practices and generally the past 5 years have led to a much lower level of satisfaction and longer waits/more difficult to get past receptionists. It can be specific to surgerys but it is a general trend unfortunately. If you have a good practice then appreciate it and to those that don't give feedback but be kind to the stretched clinicians. It's generally not their doing and most GP's are salaried rather than partners and therefore their pay is low for the level of qualification

Sue Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> So why not move elsewhere?

Unfortunately where we live in SE22 we are outside from catchment areas of Elm lodge and the Gardens (which would be my preferred choices).

Options are Lordship lane surgery (reviews not great), DMC(current surgery- also poor reviews but the doctors and nurses are great when I eventually get an appointment), 306 Lordship lane and Forest Hill road (last two are possibilities but I don't feel particularly enthusiastic).

I have used the Forest Hill Road surgery for over 30 years, and would recommend it without hesitation. No problems in getting appointments for non-urgent issues, and no problems in being seen urgently when necessary. I do remember a period when some of the receptionists needed a little coaching on dealing with people, but that was a long time ago and was fixed.

(And .... just to pre-empt any questioning comments ..... I don't work there, and I don't have any contact other than practice visits with anyone who does.)

ed_pete Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Sue - my experience of Elm Lodge wasn't as good as

> yours. Phoned this morning for an appointment any

> day next week only be told there are no

> appointments left and I would have to ring on the

> day and take my chances.

Oh dear, that's bad news. I must have been lucky!

Well, so far they have been a damn sight better than DMC, so all I can say is I'll give them a reasonable chance and see what happens. I'm usually quite healthy, touch wood.

Now I've found out how easy it is to change, I can always change again, though I hope I won't have to!

I read their reviews etc and they seem to be very good, plus the practice seems to be genuinely listening to what patients want.

• 1 month later...