Subway coming to Lordship Lane

Louisa

I think there is 2 debates going on here, the heathly food debate and gentrification.

Was driving around East Dulwich towards Peckham Morrisons i noticed so many new places that are for the hipster types that have the budget to buy a coffee for ?3 and a sandwich for ?5.

I'm on a budget and although I would love to sit in a coffee shop and have a hot chocolate with whipped cream and marshmellows - I see it as a waste of money and I could buy a whole jar or coffee/hot choc for the same price.

But I understand not everyone is like me - so the posh French place, meat liquor and Francho Mancha, is targeted at people of a certain price bracket - not sure if their pizza prices but guessing they are a tenner each , plus drinks and service, it will be a minimum of ?30 - for me this is half my weekly shop budget. And there are cheaper places to eat, obviously not as fancy but weatherspoons/harvester are on option for those on a budget, for the occasionally treat.

I have only ever had subway once, can't say it was memorable, but working people that need a budget lunch for a few pounds - why not ? Not every store on the high street can serve low calorie food - its out responsibility to manage our diets.

For everyone that has put a downer on the idea of a subway , get off their high horse and stop thinking that ED should be the Kings road and trying to socially cleanse the shops. All types of people live in ED - those on benefits, low paid workers and very well paid professionals in million pound houses - it should a place for ALL

herne hilly Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

Francho Mancha,

> is targeted at people of a certain price bracket -

> not sure if their pizza prices but guessing they

> are a tenner each , plus drinks and service, it

> will be a minimum of ?30 - for me this is half my

> weekly shop budget.

Do you mean ?30 just for you? We (party of 3) had 3 pizzas, an apple juice, a sparkling water and a beer at Franco Manca and it came to about ?30, not including service.

lol, i'm not that hungary , i did mean as a couple, ?10 per pizza and ?10 for 2 drinks and service

Inkmaiden Wrote:

> herne hilly Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> Francho Mancha,

> > is targeted at people of a certain price bracket

> -

> > not sure if their pizza prices but guessing

> they

> > are a tenner each , plus drinks and service, it

> > will be a minimum of ?30 - for me this is half

> my

> > weekly shop budget.

>

> Do you mean ?30 just for you? We (party of 3) had

> 3 pizzas, an apple juice, a sparkling water and a

> beer at Franco Manca and it came to about ?30, not

> including service.

herne hilly Wrote:

> I think there is 2 debates going on here, the

> heathly food debate and gentrification.

> Was driving around East Dulwich towards Peckham

> Morrisons i noticed so many new places that are

> for the hipster types that have the budget to buy

> a coffee for ?3 and a sandwich for ?5.

> I'm on a budget and although I would love to sit

> in a coffee shop and have a hot chocolate with

> whipped cream and marshmellows - I see it as a

> waste of money and I could buy a whole jar or

> coffee/hot choc for the same price.

> But I understand not everyone is like me - so the

> posh French place, meat liquor and Francho Mancha,

> is targeted at people of a certain price bracket -

> not sure if their pizza prices but guessing they

> are a tenner each , plus drinks and service, it

> will be a minimum of ?30 - for me this is half my

> weekly shop budget. And there are cheaper places

> to eat, obviously not as fancy but

> weatherspoons/harvester are on option for those on

> a budget, for the occasionally treat.

> I have only ever had subway once, can't say it was

> memorable, but working people that need a budget

> lunch for a few pounds - why not ? Not every store

> on the high street can serve low calorie food -

> its out responsibility to manage our diets.

> For everyone that has put a downer on the idea of

> a subway , get off their high horse and stop

> thinking that ED should be the Kings road and

> trying to socially cleanse the shops. All types of

> people live in ED - those on benefits, low paid

> workers and very well paid professionals in

> million pound houses - it should a place for ALL

Get yourself down to Franco Manca herne hilly, the pizza there is cheaper than you think. Many pizza restaurants are indeed pushing there pizzas into the ?10 and above zone but Franco Manca have continued their lower prices.....the cheapest still there at under ?5

I agree that it is important to have a range of places that are suitable for different budgets :-)

Herne hilly, you're wrong about Franco Manca. Pizzas are from ?6-?7, it's one of the cheapest places to eat out. If you can afford Harvester you can afford FM.

I think Subway would probably be reasonably popular though.. early morning bacon butty and coffee... quick lunch on the go.. pre (or post) pub filler. Fast food can serve a purpose. Besides, if someone likes Subway, that's their own business.

BrandNewGuy Wrote:

> It's easy to do pizza plus drink in Franco Manca

> for a tenner.

>

And very delicious pizzas they are too!

I took my daughter and son-in-law there for lunch in the Summer. My son-in-law said afterwards that his heart had sunk when we said we were going for a pizza, but he had been too polite to say anything, however they were both really impressed with the price and quality.

One of my granddaughters is dairy free for health reasons, and they were really accommodating in using her "special cheese" (ie not really cheese) to make a pizza for her.

Sue Wrote:

> BrandNewGuy Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > It's easy to do pizza plus drink in Franco

> Manca

> > for a tenner.

> >

>

>

> And very delicious pizzas they are too!

>

> I took my daughter and son-in-law there for lunch

> in the Summer. My son-in-law said afterwards that

> his heart had sunk when we said we were going for

> a pizza, but he had been too polite to say

> anything, however they were both really impressed

> with the price and quality.

>

> One of my granddaughters is dairy free for health

> reasons, and they were really accommodating in

> using her "special cheese" (ie not really cheese)

> to make a pizza for her.

Yes it's called Cheese analogue

Cheese analogues are products used as culinary replacements for cheese. These include vegan cheeses as well as some dairy products, such as processed cheese or Kraft Singles, that do not qualify as true cheeses.

Many if not most Pizza outlets use Analouges. I saw a programme on TV about the scam where people think they are getting real cheese.

Cheese Analogues are a lot cheeper to produce. Fine if you are told what you are getting.

Foxy

herne hilly Wrote:

> I stand corrected. FM sounds like a bargain pizza

> place. I will have to visit, no wonder it looks so

> busy all the time. I think on the face of it, it

> looked like it would be expensive.

Cheapest pizza there is ?4.50, with cheese ?5.90. Free water. Lunch for two can be had for ?10 including tip, or ?15 with the most expensive pizzas.

You can of course spend as much again on side dishes and wine...but there's no pressure or expectation to.