Subway coming to Lordship Lane

Louisa

DulwichBorn&Bred Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I was more referring to Badgers Bakery , Truly

> Scrumptious Bakery, BlackBirds and the greasy

> spoons whereby you can grab a sandwich .

Yeah, I got a Blackbirds sandwich the other day and it was good... really nice bread. The cakes are bloody great too.

But one of the areas where chain places seem to come into their own is opening hours. As someone mentioned earlier, I can imagine people grabbing a pre/post pub snack to soak up the booze. Or maybe a 7:30am coffee and bacon sandwich on a hungover Friday morning. It's not somewhere I'm going to take my wife and daughter for a nice treat.

Besides... some people just LIKE the food there. Like it or not it's a successful formula, the woolly bread and salty/sweet sauces clearly appeal to certain tastebuds. There's room for everyone as far as I'm concerned... no point pretending we live in a bubble of seasonal/artisan/locally sourced produce.

Louisa Wrote:

> And I've also spoken to people who are into pizza,

> and on the value for money front Franco Manca

> isn't in the same league as Pizza Express for

> example, who offer voucher code deals and free

> bottles of prosecco for birthdays or special

> occasions with a code. Subway also offer voucher

> code deals and meal deals on a regular basis. Do

> FM also do this?

>

> Genuine question, if me and Mr L went into FM and

> ordered a starter bottle of wine and pizza each

> maybe a side salad to share too, how much would it

> roughly cost compared to Pizza Express with its

> voucher code options?

>

> Louisa.

Either you're lying or they are. It's much cheaper than pizza express. Cheaper and nicer.

Louisa Wrote:

> Foxy that's not my point.

>

> My point is simple.

>

> People: Subway isn't good value for money and

> isn't healthy.

>

> Me: neither are lots of things you constantly bang

> on about on the forum.

>

> People: but that's different because I enjoy it.

>

> Me: how is that different? It's still not healthy

> and the prices aren't cheaper, in fact they're

> often more expensive. Just because you enjoy them

> doesn't make them superior to something someone

> else enjoys.

>

> People: yes it does because I enjoy it.

>

> END OF DISCUSSION.

>

> Louisa.

Interestingly- Pret a Manger sandwiches are some of the least healthy out there. Astonishing calorific values.

titch juicy Wrote:

> Louisa Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Foxy that's not my point.

> >

> > My point is simple.

> >

> > People: Subway isn't good value for money and

> > isn't healthy.

> >

> > Me: neither are lots of things you constantly

> bang

> > on about on the forum.

> >

> > People: but that's different because I enjoy

> it.

> >

> > Me: how is that different? It's still not

> healthy

> > and the prices aren't cheaper, in fact they're

> > often more expensive. Just because you enjoy

> them

> > doesn't make them superior to something someone

> > else enjoys.

> >

> > People: yes it does because I enjoy it.

> >

> > END OF DISCUSSION.

> >

> > Louisa.

>

> Interestingly- Pret a Manger sandwiches are some

> of the least healthy out there. Astonishing

> calorific values.

As Jeremy quite rightly points out above, some people just enjoy things others don't. What's this ED obsession with wanting artisanal/organic this, that and the other ALL of the time? Or bad mouthing anyone who dares to enjoy something like a McDonald's or Subway once in a while? It goes back to my "look at me" post from the meat liquor thread. Some people just don't get that people eat in places because they like it. They seem obsessed by being 'seen' eating in the latest place rather than just enjoying the food. It's very odd behaviour, snobby bewildering and tiresome.

Louisa.

And for the record I have not eaten in. Pret A Manger sandwich shop for a long long time. I do however concede they wouldn't be a healthy option to have all of the time, much the same as with pizza or burgers, but unlike other posters on this forum, I can openly concede that point because I just enjoy the offering. I don't use the health care to try and justify why one high fat food option is better than another.

Louisa.

Louisa Wrote:

But then some people don't

> necessarily eat in places because they enjoy the

> food. It's about being seen eating there.

She's SO right - we've all seen the crowds qoggling at the windows of Franco Manca or Meat Liquor to see who might be in there eating their cheap and cheerful sub-?10 plate of food.

And I see the diners inside bristling back at the crowds of onlookers - with their look-at-me faces - and the food they don't even like left sitting uneaten on the plates.

THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENS MAKE NO MISTAKE ABOUT IT

• Administrator

This topic is close to becoming Lounged. Why? because it goes down the predictable route of:

1) A new shop is opening

2) I will like it

3) I won't like it

4) Certain types won't like it

5) Certain types will like it

6) I'm a certain type and I will like it

7) I'm a certain type and I won't like it

8) You're a certain type and you don't like it because of x

9) Well you're a certain type and only like it because of y

10) the problem with x any y is z and so I find it better to eat alone

11) You're just having a go at me because I'm a certain type

12) Some stuff to make my point again and again which is unrelated to the shop opening

12) When's the new shop opening?

13) go back to 2

You have one minute to talk about the suject: "Subway coming to Lordship Lane",

Nothing on the planning application indicates a time frame for the opening, but as EDhistory has already pointed out, this is a protected shop front, so there may be some delays surrounding the length of time it takes to approve the design. It is the newsagent on LL opposite the pharmacy on the corner of shawbury/LL.

Disappointing it doesn't have seating, and also slightly confused as to why they didn't just open up a branch in a empty unit rather than share with an existing business.

Louisa.

How embarrassing, but I knew this would happen. Just you watch it'll be chain central by next year unless we grow the balls to stop it. Cafe Nero, Marks, Subway, what next Maccy D's. Total bloody nightmare, if I wanted a bloody subway on my doorstep i'd move to lewisham.

There's a Subway in Camberwell. I couldn't believe my eyes and ears when I saw a neighbour getting out of her car once with a Subway bag proudly announcing that she'd just picked it up on her way home.

Camberwell...home to Wuli Wuli, Silk Road, FM Mangal and she goes for Subway...

Bloody chains popping up all over the place, providing longer opening hours, better quality customer service, and cheaper food. I don't know how these places like Subway and McDonalds survive! The way ED is going, we might even get a Pret a Manger soon, there goes the neighbourhood.

Louisa.

Subway in Camberwell must be doing good business then!

It's handy for hospital workers/visitors (there's always a queue at lunchtime) and you can choose what you want and the staff are always friendly.

Daughter made a complaint recently about staff attitude at their Brixton branch but that's another matter.

I went to Oxford Street in July (first time in years) and was met by terrible customer service/food at pret a mange and Mcdonalds (at the latter the member of staff didn't understand the word for 'water').

I repeated the word 'water' three times and then shook a bottle of half-filled water that I had in my bag.

The young lady still didn't understand and it caused a big queue to form behind us.