Stimulating milk production

Cheeky Baby Baldock does love to keep me on my toes.

Since he was about 14 weeks old, he has had a preference to my left 'side' rather than my right. There was still milk in ol' Righty for a while, but now there isn't and I've been feeding him from my left side exclusively ever since. However, over the past few days he has been showing a renewed interest in the right side- having a good stare and trying to latch on. Is there any way for me to start up a new supply in the right side? I have a medela swing but pumping has been fruitless since he was 8 weeks old (even when I am engorged. Weird).

Thanks ladies!

Oh and an eta: I nursed aforementioned baby through my 'illness' which turned out to be food poisoning. Fab. Baby didn't seem to care.

Ruth, if he latches on and sucks that may be enough to get the milk production going again. Otherwise, the pumping action might do the job, even if you don't think it does - are you sure you are holding it so you get a good seal around the boob, and if a hand pump the thing I didn't realise is that you squeeze and hold for quite a while and the milk will flow, rather than just sitting there pumping away like mad.

I wouldn't worry too much either way though. I spent quite a long time looking lop sided with my 1st daughter who had a strong preference for one side to the other as she got older......in retrospect this was preferable to DD2 who prefers me to now sit with BOTH boobs out whilst she goes back and forth from one to the other leaving me nicely exposed :-$ (and kicks up so much fuss if I refuse to let her do this that it is almost worse)...

Thankfully breast feeding days are almost over and I only give her access at home....phew.

Molly

Hi Molly,

Yep, def using it properly. Took it along to the breastfeeding cafe at Peckham Library and everything :( I don't get any joy out of my avent manual either. It's a sort of mental block I think, I had a dip in my supply (and confidence) last time I was really ill (when he was about 3 months old). I can sometimes get a bit out if I am alone in the house, when it's quiet and I think about Seb nursing and other let-down inducing things.

I'll get him to latch onto the right hand side when he's less animated later on. He's into everything at the moment and is into drive-by nursing at the moment- crawls up to my when I'm sitting with him on the floor and starts making a grab for the 'goods'. Lovely, nice manners there...

I wonder if expressing from the right while you are feeding him from left boob may help - this certainly helps acheive a better yeild if you are trying to stockpile milk for the freezer so may help (though will be a faff!). Also you could go up to Kings to talk to Clare Kedves, the breastfeeding Guru, who will be able to tell you definitavely what to do...there are drugs you can be prescribed to increase yeild, but they only use them if expressing etc is proven unfruitful.

PS. I reckon nearly all right handed women's left breast is the "better" one because we attach the baby with our right - are there any lefties out their who's babies do better on the right to prove my theory?

I've always suspected it is to do with let down - maybe one side produces more and/or the flow is faster and easier but have no idea.

I can't remember any more which side was preferred, though I am left handed, and so always preferred her to be on the right leaving my left hand free to write notes, drink tea or whatever!!

M

Grrrr, my theory suddenly looks very dodgy! I thought because right hand is more cunning, attachment to left boob better from outset, therefore latch better, therefore delivery of milk more efficient, therefore supply goes up.

(Ps I am right handed but got better at drinking tea, writing notes with left!)

Anyway, didnt mean to hijack the thread...sorry Ruth.

Thanks Gwod. I've been googling, but I can't find how to get in contact with Clare at Kings. Do you have a number/email address for her by any chance?

Re: preference theories...I'm afraid the pref. is entirely MY fault. I sit on a side of the sofa which has the armrest on the right hand side. Also it has the best view of the telly... I always feed him on this sofa and I must have conditioned him a bit...

Infant Feeding Co-ordinator at Kings is 020 3299 3833 - that will either get you through to Clare - or someone who can tell you when her drop-in clinics are. She knows everything there is to know about boobs. Good luck!