Did you use a swing to help your newborn nap?

Our newborn loves to sleep on my or my husband's lap (usually on the feeding pillow after a nice big feed) which we both enjoy a lot but which isn't always practical given the fact that we have a 2 year old running around and my husband's paternity leave will be over tomorrow. The baby often wakes up after we transfer her to her moses basket in spite of the fact that we put it on a slight incline, made it nice and soft and warm inside etc.

I'm now thinking about getting a swing for naptime (she's ok at night) but before I buy yet another product that we need to retire to the loft within a week I'd like to hear your experiences of using a swing.

Thanks in advance!

A swing saved my sanity. My newborn would not nap at all without constant motion - she would fall asleep in a pram whilst being pushed but the moment you stopped she would wake up. She could not be put down during the day at all without screaming. With 3 others to look after it was a nightmare. The day I bought the swing (she was 8 weeks old) I wept tears of relief.

That said I passed the swing onto a friend who didn't use it at all because her lo wouldn't sleep in it.

My son slept loads in his swing the first few months. At first I felt guilty about it, thinking that I was artificially inducing him to nap longer and that I was going to create a baby that could only sleep while in motion. Nonsense!

We used one for our daughter when she was tiny and it was a lifesaver - allowed us to eat etc and kept her happy or got her off to sleep. She didn't like it so much once she was a few months old though. Unfortunately I don't have it any more as a friend lent it to us while we were living in Italy, otherwise I would offer to lend it to you!