any thoughts on high chairs?

Starting to think about high chairs and wondered if there were any specific things that I should be looking out for before we buy?

Any particular models that seem to be better than others or do you think its all a matter of personal taste (babies comfort and your design leanings?)

Thanks!

Check whether it converts to a toddler chair they can climb into and out of themselves (although we just use a booster seat now). We had very limited space when our first was born so we got a booster seat type highchair that you can strap onto a kitchen chair. GREAT in terms of space saving but the fact that it doesn't have a wide base/footprint means that the child could theoretically push its feet against the edge of the table and tilt the chair backwards (once our daughter's legs were long enough to do this we always kept the highchair far away enough from the table to prevent this).

Here's what we got. Great for those with very limited space. Not particularly pretty but quite practical...

http://www.fisher-price.com/img/product_shots/J5933_b_1.jpg

I have way too many high chairs for one small boy - you are welcome to come and test them out!! The irony is the one we use every day is the cheap as chips ikea antelop with tray (and inflatable cushion when he was smaller). I also have (now don't laugh) fold up ikea one for friends who come for tea, a phil and teds me too clipped to our island unit, and a lovely expensive mamas and papas one under the bed upstairs as it's too big for our kitchen! If I ever get round to selling it I would quite like a handisitt though!!

Most important thing - easy to clean. I can't imagine having a fabric cushion or anything like that - nightmare....the antelop tray can go in the dishwasher - result!

I'm a big fan of Tripp Trapp chairs, they are brilliant.

I initially bought a Chicco highchair for my son when we started weaning it, but found it a complete nightmare in so many ways - hard to clean, took up too much space, meant he wasn't "involved" in mealtimes because he wasn't up at the table with us.

I bought him a Tripp Trapp chair when he was about 18 months old and we haven't looked back, my daughter had one from when we started weaning her. Now that they are older they love their chairs, can climb up and down by themselves and they're great for sitting at the table to do drawing/painting etc. as well as for mealtimes. Super easy to keep clean and quite an attractive piece of furniture too.

We never used a high chair but a Handy Sitt. Small 2 bedroom flat!! He was sitting early and also used a Bumbo. He still uses his Handy Sitt now, at 22 months, and they are able to use them until about 4 years of age. They also fold flat as well as having a carry bag if you are heading out to a restaurant or visiting friends.Best buy we ever made and so easy to keep clean!!

The image doesn't have the insert but you can see the style.

http://www.backinaction.co.uk/?action=handysitt&linkfrom=googleadwords&gclid=CIrJjrWi86ICFYWY2AodMiDnkw

http://handysittnz.com/images/prod-descr-chair.gif

Oh - the only other thing - if you're planning on doing a lot of finger food/BLW - I find my little boy still gets tremendously messy in high chairs without a tray - the wrap around affair on the ikea one with coverall bibs goes some way towards saving his clothes....

I also love our Trip Trapp. I believe Babydan also does a similar less expensive version. It's definitely messier to have them sit at the table with you, but I like to have a family meal.

The Handisitts are good, but a few words of caution. If you have fabric chairs they will get dirty. I would recommend using only on plastic, wood or other easy to clean chairs. Additionally, I didn't think it was great for when my son first started weaning. He was quite stable and good at sitting up, but he could lean dangerously far forward in the Handisitt.

-A

definitely definitely definitely the ikea cheap as chips antilop or whatever it is called - plastic (BPA free) and SO easy to clean, plus great up right position, unlike many of the more expensive ones which seem to tilt them backwards in most unsatisfactory fashion. also big enough for tubbies like O, again unlike many v expensive ones which have very meagre little seating gaps. doesn't fold but legs v easy to remove so can be stored or transported. can't see why anyone would need or want to spend more (?14 inc tray).

Another vote for the Tripp Trapp. Great to have E at the table and can be pushed under so takes up very little floor space.

We have a P&T Me Too for going away- also highly recommended. Those fabric booster seats were to low for E to see over the top of the table let alone eat from it!

Another vote for the IKEA. We originally bought a wooden high chair (v similar to Tripp Trapp but a bit cheaper, I think from John Lewis). But it's more awkward to clean because of the corners and not as easy to get him in and out of. So after a trip to visit Grandma who bought an Antelop for him, we went down to IKEA and forked out the ?15 or whatever and got our own one. Very easy to clean and he loves it.

agree IKEA one if on a budget, Tripp Trapp if have the cash or want something to blend in. In laws have IKEA one, we have Tripp Trapp, is very much a general use seat now but still going strong and baby 3 will be in it. My mum has a folding mid range one and it is rubbish - leans baby back too much, and the 'wipe clean' seat has weird seams that are not wipeable at all.

b&b - the mothercare one is the one I mention in my post. It's very good but a bit awkward to clean, especially if you've got a cushion on it. And not quite as easy to carry out to the garden on a sunny day as the IKEA one.

100% recommend the Tripp Trapp (although I'm sure the cheaper Baby Dan version is pretty much the same.) OUr chunky 2 year old still fits in it with the baby set on too! I like the fact that it converts into a kids chair and will last a long time.