Foreigners do it better? (some viewers may find this offensive)

legalbeagle

I lived in Italy for a while and was astonished by how much everyone swore - especially parents in front of their children.

It also seemed to have lots to do with bottoms:

* Go and do an @rse

* Go and poo

* She / He's a sh!t (Stronza / Stronzo) - actually someone explained to me in great detail that stronzo/a meant a small tiny dried up dog poo

Old ladies seemed to enjoy using particularly nasty ones if you didn't move out of their way fast enough (Mortacci tua - your dead ancesters souls are disgraced, or something like that). Actually I think that one was Roman rather than Italian.

However, the weird thing was that the worst kind of swear words you could use had very harmless translations, but they were blasphemous. Pig Madonna and Pig Misery were really bad, but the worst one of all was Pig God. Some guy said it once on the TV and wasn't allowed back on for years.

Have to admit I once heard a man say it in the street, and the genuinely shocked and horrified reactions of passers-by was something to see!

legalbeagle Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I once walked into a door frame in Italy and

> really banged my head. Since the kids were with me

> I couldn't swear (oh how times have changed!) so

> instead I yelled "Santa Patata" (Holy Potato)

> Caused great hilarity amoungst the Italians.

If I had been there I would have shouted back to you "Pentatus!" then laughed even more.

Narnia Wrote:

> What's a 'half-a-gee' OD?

that's why it makes me laugh - it's nonsense. if i may be crude (ha), how can you have half a hole? so i guess that answers brendan's question - 'which half?' - doesn't really matter. take your pick. unless something's gone horribly wrong, they should be both the same. i think the affection in it is borne of the fact that the person isn't calling you a whole gee cos i guess they think you're just not that bad.

on the other hand i've heard half-a-c**t used with such venom i think it means you're not even worthy of the full insult.

nice cursin Brendan - if i'd had that up me sleeve i'd have been at the top of the thread.

brum Wrote:

> Potato-head, Brendan.

>

> Its Welsh.

Are you sure it isn?t a subtle Welsh way of calling you English? It is a quite good description of a lot of the male population.

Except this time of year when beetroot head is sometimes more apt.

TillieTrotter Wrote:

> Thats a long insult Brenda, I would have thought

> the fist would have connected before you'd got to

> the end!

Surprisingly not Tillie but that?s South Africans for you. Minds like bulldozers. Pretty much unstoppable once set on course but they can take a while to get up to speed.

Personally I feel motherfuc*er is nasty. The Americans are so very fond of it aren't they? Nothing really beats the C world to drive a point home although I'm particularly fond of wan*er myself.

It's very time consuming to have to keep finding ways around the forum's anti-swearing software so that's causing me to do some fucking and blinding I can tell you.