cervical sweep

Each time, the first sweep I have had has been very painful (smear = .5/10, sweep, 5/10, early-mid labour 6/10)

I think if gas and air was offered it would be a good backup as it would work very well (I didn't actually like gas and air in labour with twin II at all, it made me feel very stoned and dizzy) but for a minute or two during the sweep it would be a good thing that you lost all memory of the event!

OMG I am beginning to feel scared for her now! Have advised her to take 2 paracetomol, maybe should add in the bottle of gin?! She hates her smear, makes her feel sick, even has resorted to valium before. Heaven knows what this will be like. xx

I absolutely hate smears and any form of 'prodding'.

I had a smear pretty much every other day for 2 weeks trying to bring on labour.

It is uncomfortable and sore too - its just a very awkward feeling and obviously a little scary - but it only takes a couple of minutes and is worth it when you want to bring on labour - my sweeps were all unsuccessful - but anything to avoid induction.

She must just take deep breaths and possibly even turn the tv on or something so she's not tense and expecting the worst!

Oh bless your daughter, K. Hopefully this birth will sort out her squeamishness. I was a real woosbag about internals, doctors, dentist etc until I had my first. I wanted to give birth with my knickers on! Two sprogs later, I am now totally blase about it all, as nothing remotely compares to the intensity (and total loss of dignity) of giving birth.

Incidentally, I recommend the gas and air for delivering the placenta. It's pretty gross, so nice to be slightly off your chops while that happens :-) It does seem not to agree with everyone, but I always have a giggle on it!

Hope your daughter's sweep is ok. It depends more on the situation "in there" than on your pain threshold I think. I had two and both were uncomfortable but completely painless and I would say my pain threshold is quite average. I guess things weren't as tight/stuck/pressurised or whatever it is that makes one sweep less nasty than the other one. Or maybe my midwife was gentler... don't know if there are "sweeps and sweeps".

My first sweep brought on some mild contractions and a bloody show the same afternoon but no labour. After the second sweep I went into labour the morning after but I was also 40+4 so my body may have gone into labour by itself anyway.