Art Gallery survives flooding!

Robbo

After a successfull first month, The Gallery on Upland Road had to shut it's doors due to flooding on that fateful day in August. We'll be back open this Saturday 11th - 10 till 5 showing some great new work from Sam Bassett, Claire Burke and Sarah Russell.....no wellies required!

Wow, pablogrande, I am confused to what this actually means and whether it applies to the girls that run The Gallery. Went in on the 2nd or 3rd week and I believe these 3 local (2 live in ED, one in WD) girls are genuinely trying to set up an independent art gallery in ED. I know one of them well, and although this does not speak for whether she is clubbing seals in her spare time (though she has never mentioned it to me) she is an animal loving strict vegetarian! They have been working really hard to get The Gallery back up and running after the flood and I for one, will plan to visit this weekend. Admin- this post above seems to be accusing a business of being something it is not, I know I have been away, but are these not normally removed? Not sure what is more bizarre the seal clubbing accusation or the 'multi national' bit?!!

• Administrator

We did actually think that it was someone from the gallery using artistic license to promote the gallery. Accusations of seal clubbing, denial of the recent bad weather and saying that a local gallery isn't allowed to promote itself on the forum seemed so bizarre we left the message on.

Care to explain yourself pablogrande?

Of course we want to raise awareness of the Gallery, there's so much interest in the big chains such as White Stuff and Foxtons, we genuinely thought that East Dulwich people would be interested in a small independent gallery that shows local artists and has always been about giving people the opportunity to see some really great work. The flood damage downstairs will be painfully apparent to anyone who visits; we will have to shut again for a while when building repairs commence and will of course let the forum know so that no one has a wasted visit!

Well I imagined than Don Pablito had been mickey-taking at the expense of the White Stuff thread, no?

What is the comparison with the gallery next to Willis B - we bought some good stuff from there by some South London artists. Is the Gallery in the same theme - or has it a more limited range?

Flooding's gotta be a shocker for a gallery, the stuff would be irreplaceable?

Five points to Huguenot and a free sealskin canvas of you choice

really sorry to hear about your damage hope your insurance covers it all, run my own small business (with an eye on world domiation of course) and I know how these things can set you back.

I'll certainly be popping in when I'm back off holiday

I can account for the 'range' they sell and it is really varied with ceramics and interesting furniture as well as art on the walls. They have hung the work really well and it's varied in style with lots of local artists. You should go down and take a look I saw something I was interested in when they first opened but within an hour it had been nabbed by another punter.

The cafe across the road does a mean fry up as well.

Oops sorry then pablogrande for jumping to defence when perhaps should have realised that it was jokingly linked to another thread somewhere, serves me right for not keeping up with it anymore. Was a bit early in the morning and had not found my sense of humour yet.

• 3 weeks later...

Popped in this weekend and to be honest for some reason was expecting the Athenaesque stuff from the place next to Iceland but they had some really interesting work in there. lots in the ?60 - ?300 price bracket and when I spoke to the girls they say they change the pieces regularly.

I hope the location doesn't let them down, bit too far from the main drag for people to know about it, hopefully word of mouth and this forum will help, maybe they should put a few items on one of the stalls in the market at the weekend? Anyway enough of my business advice, great addition to the area I hope they do well - go visit