getting your boobs back to normal - how long does it take?

Sorry in advance for the overshare everyone - I hope there's some sage advice you can give me about this though.

Sadly as little one is 6 months old and I have to go back to f/t work in 2 weeks we've taken little c off the boob. I'm going cold turkey so that I have a fortnight to deal with any physical problems either for little c or myself.

My boobs are obviously now solid as, (it's only been 24 hours) but does anyone know:

- how long it might last?

- a way of soothing them without going back to square one (feeding again)

- a better way of bf weaning?

Please don't chastise me for stopping - it's not an easy decision ;-(

Thanks so much to you all.

C xxx

Poor you, I feel your pain - my boobs were agony when I stopped BF and I had to do it fairly abruptly as I was going away on a work trip. I seem to remember it took them about 10 days or so to calm down. I found massaging them in a hot bath/ under a hot shower helped a little. It will pass!

Firstly well done you and bare with me on the advice, it may be long, but may help you out.

With regards to a better way of weaning off breast, there is no right or wrong, better or worse way, everybody finds the time different. The options you have are to wean abruptly, as you are doing now. Some mothers can find this most difficult. Your baby gets more than nutrition from your breast he gets love & comfort too, he may find it very hard if you decide to wean without gradually giving him the time to allow you to compensate dropped feeds with affection. Weaning should naturally occur for as long as possible. You may also find sudden hormonal changes taking place with you, that may cause you to feel a little low. Most women find gradual weaning the easiest and least emotional way to stop breastfeeding.

As to avoid problems in your breasts while weaning, you should express enough milk to make you feel comfortable and less engorged, it may help to wear a nice firm fitting bra whilst your breasts return to normal. Some women find restricting the amount of salt they have in the early stages, as salt helps retain bodily fluid. And of course drink as much as you need to, this wont make you produce more milk. Trying hand expressing in a hot bath or shower as this may help you relax and stimulate your let down.

Alot of mothers feel they need to distance themselves from their child during this stage, however reassurance, extra cuddles and plenty of physical affection help to compensate the loss of breastfeeding.

Also, the fullness shouldn't last too long up to 14 days, if you express when you feel uncomfortable. don't be surprised if your breasts continue to produce small amounts of milk for several months or even longer. Don't forget your breast pads :)

I hope this helped, if you want to ask anything else feel free. Good luck.

Thanks for your advice...cold turkey seems to be bearable at the mo (and I'd forgotten I can take meds now!). Lots and lots of cuddles for little one (who seems to be in weaning heaven and not missing the boob a jot)..and if it takes up to a fortnight to 'dry out', that's all the time I have left :(.

Btw - totally agree with the 'normal' thing. I meant pain-free not gravity defying...sadly those days are long gone. Thank G for Bravissimo.

xxxxx

Ha, sometimes thats just the way. You think it will be a nightmare and you dread it, then its absolutely fine. Ibruprofen will help with any discomfort you get. The process between breastfeeding and stopping and getting your body back to normal can be a slow and long process but after your supply has mostly dried up you should have no problems. You make sure not to leave your breasts if you get uncomfortable, it is worth the couple of minutes it takes!!!

A good bra thats well fitted will help by giving you more support and could actually relieve some discomfort, agreed it will not provide a miracle :(

Hope it continues to go well :)

I found it fine, had been intending to do it gradually when Miss Smiler was 7-8 months, but my milk supply actually dried up really fast and it only took about a week or so and didn't have much pain(I had been struggling anyway, one of the reasons I gave up). Did some minimal expressing or a mini-feed which then topped up with a bottle when had pain, but only a little so as not to continue the supply.

Watch out re. contraception, unless you're keen for another, any natural contraception from breastfeeding diminishes really fast!

ryedalema Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

Please don't chastise me for stopping - it's not an easy decision ;-(

This might not need saying since (as I hope you should be able to expect on this board) you've had a supportive response to your post, but I just wanted to respond to the sadness and perhaps a little guilt that this sentence suggests.

I hope no-one in their right mind would criticize you for stopping bf'ing after 6 months - that's a fantastic start for your lo and many mothers don't manage to do so well in spite of trying. Lots of mums on here are still bf'ing older babies and toddlers and that's brilliant, but lots aren't, and that's OK too. I think we all know how difficult the decision is when you have to stop, and how sad it can make you feel, so thoughts with you.

A nurse was telling Mrs Keef that she'd had to stop all of a sudden due to a health issue, and she did the hot shower thing, as it would stimulate the nipple and releive some of the pressure (at least I think that's what she meant).

Oh, and if anyone should chastise you, tell them to f**k off. simple.

Smiler Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Watch out re. contraception, unless you're keen

> for another, any natural contraception from

> breastfeeding diminishes really fast!

On this note - its worth pointing out that b/f doesn't necessarily give you protection against conception - scarey but true!

Did you know breastfeeding can be as effective at preventing pregnancy as a condom, the criteria are very strict though. The baby must feed at certain times, wake certain amount through the night, not be older than 6 months, or be eating any solid foods, it must have a strong suck and you must not have any medical conditions or be on any medication. Tell me how anyone actually uses breastfeeding as contraception...? It is too risky for me, I tell you that. I know in other countries its known to be quite common and effective.

We did, as were relaxed about gap between babies. The handout from the Kings breastfeeding awareness session about b/feeding as contraception didn't mention all of the points GinaG3 has - kind of made it sound that as long as you were b/feeding lots, including at night, it would be natural contraception, or maybe I misread it! Next time, will be more careful!

Cor, I couldn't do it personally I really couldn't. I would find it hard becoming pregnant whilst dealing with a baby/toddler let alone 2. I'm a scaredy cat. Any woman bringing up children with small age gaps between, must be superwoman. I know a lot of people do it too. I would want 5 years if I could. My mother had me and my sister 16 months apart, it must be hard work :)