Cycle Route Kennington - ED

Hello all

I was hoping someone can help with a cycle route back from the Waterloo/Kennington area to ED. It's dead easy getting over there from my place:

Peckham Rye - Rye Lane - Peckham High Street - Camberwell Church Street - Camberwell New Road - Kennington Park Road (though, annoyingly, there doesn't seem to be a way of turning right on to KPR legally) - Kennington Road etc

but getting home again is a pain because either you retrace the route above along ropey road coverings and then have to go round the Peckham one way system which is slow going OR you turn right off Camberwell Church Street on to Camberwell Grove, pedal long and hard up the hill to the top, take a right on to Grove Hill Road then left on to Dog Kennel Hill from where it's plain sailing.

There must be an easier way, help!!

Oh no, the route I'm taking at the moment to work is far more direct than that, I'm going to the bottom end of Kennington Road. I'm talking about the right turn before going straight on to the Oval, there's no way of doing it legally unless you pop down a back street and turn right by the tube.

The getting home is the trickiest bit...

I used to do the ED journey to Waterloo - my route much as yours to Camberwell Green but then followed Camberwell Road / Walworth Road to Elephant & Castle.

On return I would reverse trip to Camberwell Green and turn left onto Camberwell Church St (going is rough - does need resurfacing) but carry on past Camberwell Grove to turn right onto Lyndhurst Way, beside the Peckham Academy, then left & right thru' "Bellenden Village". From there you have a number of options to get you onto either Peckham Rye / Rye Lane. Advantage is that it misses the Camberwell Grove / DKH slog of too much up and a lot of down - this is mostly level.

Yeah, the Lyndhurst Way/Bellenden route is a good option. Be careful past the shops though. I've seen lots of near misses around there.

As for the Kennington problem, i tend to carry straight on at the lights then turn right onto the road that goes north around the Oval. There's a right turn along there which takes you on side streets up to Lambeth Bridge. It's much quieter than battling along more main roads, though not as quick.

I would certainly advocate the Lyndhurst Way/Bellenden Road route, although down Lyndhurst Way you do feel like you're riding a boneshaker the road surface is so bad. But it does beat the Dog Kennel Hill lungbuster.

Going towards Waterloo I turn off Peckham Road onto Southampton Way by Oliver Goldsmith School, then right along Wells Way, then take Portland Road and Brandon Road, parallel to Walworth Road up to Elephant and Castle. The cycle routes around E+C are circuitous to say the least so I just close my eyes and take the direct route and then go along London Road and Waterloo Road. A bit complicated to start with but it feels much safer.

By the way, I've found this website where you can report potholes, etc. www.fillthathole.org.uk. You identify where the offending hole is using Google maps, describe it, and then the site sends it to the relevant council, who have a duty to do something about it. We shall see.

• 1 month later...

Marmora Man Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Don't forget

>

> London Freewheel

>

> Mass bike in to a traffic free London from Peckham

> Rye Park Sunday 23 September

So who was there?? I was - good run into London, crossed Southwark Bridge on "wrong" side of the road as it was cyclists only. Southwark Bridge to Parliament - 10 mins instead of 25 - 35 in normal traffic. All good fun - Boris Johnson rode there - Gary Bushnell (another London Mayoral candidate came by car (Bad move). Lots of children, many regular cyclists but lots of newcomers too.