Thieves on unmarked motor bikes on Lordship Lane - pls beware

Deepti

Yesterday at 3:15 in the afternoon, I was walking down Lordship Lane with my mum, my pregnant sister and carrying my daughter in my arms. We had just had lunch at GBK and were walking home down lordship lane. We got to corner of Whateley road when two guys on a motor bike dressed in black and wearing helmets stopped, the one at the back got off, ran up to my mum and pulled the gold necklace she was wearing off her.

In reflex my mum fought back and while I was trying to stop her, she was pushed to the ground. They then sped off and we were left shouting for help.

A big thank you to everyone who came to help, called the police and also tried to chase and to Bells who are sharing cctv footage.

Please watch out for unmarked motorcycle bikes in the area, according to the police, there have been a number of instances of phone snatching (not many of jewellery) in the area recently. This incident was in broad daylight, right next to where the police station used to be (now a school).

I'm generally regarded as a limp wristed wooly liberal on criminal matters, but this policy (and it's a policy, not a law) drives me mad. If I snatch a handbag and run off along a busy road, will plod not pursue me in case I run into the traffic? If someone's committed a crime they have to accept the risks of pursuit. Surely the police and lawmakers could agree on a formula absolving the police of responsibility for any injuries occurring from a rider removing their helmet during a pursuit? They still chase car thieves who don't wear seatbelts, don't they? Grrr...