Denmark Hill diversions this weekend

I went to the Oval yesterday and was a bit surprised when the 185 went via Peckham.

However, it occurred to me that would make quite a good permanent route. The LL to Camberwell Green route is well served by the the 40, 176, 185, 484 etc.

Having one of these going via Peckham would provide a useful additional option to go through or to Peckham.

Peckham is becoming increasingly populous and attractive for a night out.

Michael Palaeologus Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I went to the Oval yesterday and was a bit

> surprised when the 185 went via Peckham.

>

> However, it occurred to me that would make quite a

> good permanent route. The LL to Camberwell Green

> route is well served by the the 40, 176, 185, 484

> etc.

>

> Having one of these going via Peckham would

> provide a useful additional option to go through

> or to Peckham.

>

Peckham is becoming increasingly populous and attractive for a night out.

Nahh.. I get my nails done during the day..

Foxy

I think the bus routes in, around, to and from SE15/22/5 etc could do with a rethink. An express/limited stop service could be brought in for the 176 and 40 to stop the overcrowding in the morning when people CBA to walk a few stops to the station. Smaller buses on certain routes could be used between rush hours to prevent jams and reduce fuel consumption and waste. Some of the dodgy, hazardous crossings (or lack of) could be seen to to encourage walking.

On a plus note, Mr Mayor (he was apparently the son of a bus driver, you know) says Camberwell station's reopening possibilities are being looked into.

An express/limited stop service ?? That's a ridulous idea..

Most of the route is solid traffic.. How are the Express buses supposed to overtake the normal buses. in the bus lanes. ?

and half empty buses going past stops is going to really p*** people off forcing them to walk to 'Express' stops

which get be rammed...

You would need twice as many small buses (Same length so no ease on congestion) so will use more fuel.. ?

DulwichFox

I said small buses in between rush hours, when I agree that there are half-empty vehicles. I still think a limited stop service - just one or two an hour - could help. The route is not solid traffic from Dulwich Library to Denmark Hill, so a limited stop for only part of the route would be useful.

What's your valued input on the idea to help people walk?

Nigello Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I said small buses in between rush hours, when I

> agree that there are half-empty vehicles. I still

> think a limited stop service - just one or two an

> hour - could help. The route is not solid traffic

> from Dulwich Library to Denmark Hill, so a limited

> stop for only part of the route would be useful.

> What's your valued input on the idea to help

> people walk?

If people WANT to walk then there is nothing to stop them.. If they walk part of the way ..say from Dulwich Plough

The buses are full before they get to Goose Green..

Having half empty Express buses are not cost effective. Unless you charge a premium to use them..

DulwichFox.

This from a nearby forum:

On the Buses

Route 185 has been re-awarded to Go-Ahead London with new battery-hybrid buses. This new contract will begin in October, so we should start to see new quieter, less-polluting buses appearing on this route.

The peak-hour vehicle requirement on this busy route is going up from 24 to 25, which would suggest a slight increase in peak-hour buses, possibly to one every 7 minutes towards Victoria in the morning and towards Lewisham in the evening.

The 363, which runs along Wood Vale and Sydenham Hill, is also going hybrid from October this year.