Dangerous driver - Peckham Rye

Had a bit of a scare this morning. I was cycling in to work on my usual route and got to the junction of Stuart and Cheltenham Road at the top of the North side of Peckham Rye Park. I saw a car was coming from the left and he was accelerating heavily. I waited for him to pass, and at the last minute he swerved the car so he was driving straight towards me on the wrong side of the road at what felt like about 50-60mph. I seriously thought that my time was up. At the very last second he swerved away again and drove off. He had his window down, was staring straight at me baring his teeth. I felt like he was growling at me.

I?ve reported it to the police, but they've just asked me to report it as a trafic incident by taking forms in to a station.

The man was driving a small silver car (looked like a Saxo). I was too shaken to get his number plate.

Doesn?t half make you feel vulnerable. Not really sure why I'm sharing this on here, I suppose just be vigilant

There is a tiny group of drivers, but worryingly seemingly becoming larger, who get some pathetic kick out of "buzzing" cyclists by swerving across the road at them or seeing how close they can pass at high speed - creeping up behind and suddenly leaning on the horn is another favourite. It's happened to me and several friends more than once this year, though thankfully not in as dramatic a way as you describe. I know what you mean about being too shaken to get the plate, they're usually well out of range by the time the astonishment wears off.

Glad you're OK and hope it doesn't put you off riding.

Best,

Rendel

rendelharris Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> There is a tiny group of drivers, but worryingly

> seemingly becoming larger, who get some pathetic

> kick out of "buzzing" cyclists by swerving across

> the road at them or seeing how close they can pass

> at high speed - creeping up behind and suddenly

> leaning on the horn is another favourite. It's

> happened to me and several friends more than once

> this year, though thankfully not in as dramatic a

> way as you describe. I know what you mean about

> being too shaken to get the plate, they're usually

> well out of range by the time the astonishment

> wears off.

>

> Glad you're OK and hope it doesn't put you off

> riding.

>

> Best,

>

> Rendel

If it was that. He was alone and he wasn't laughing when he clearly saw I was terrified.

Was it solo drivers when it happened to you?

Annasfield Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

>

> If it was that. He was alone and he wasn't

> laughing when he clearly saw I was terrified.

>

> Was it solo drivers when it happened to you?

No, always been two or more young blokes. That does make it rather more worrying, I realise - if you have the inclination to pursue it I wonder if the police could dig up any CCTV on him? Though without any actual contact taking place I doubt they'd do much, unfortunately.

Scary. I wonder if he misidentified you - had an altercation with another cyclist, went round the block and came back and thought it was you? Still utterly unforgivable, but better than the alternative of a total psychopath being on the loose...

Hmmm, I have a feeling I may have possibly encountered this driver a week or two ago. I was cycling on the same stretch of road but had passed the Rye and was further along the road in Nunhead.

There are parts of this road which aren't the widest and with parked cars it sometimes means cars have to wait a little. I admit I'm also not super speedy.

As I headed down the hill I was aware of a car coming up behind me. He then proceeded to beep, beep, beep his horn as he passed me and shout something through his open window. I just gestured as if to say "what's your issue?"

This was a silver car (no idea what make/model) and I think the guy was balding/ shaved head.

Chances are it isn't the same person though I guess