Bleep Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> > remember when you were lucky to get on a Night Bus

> in the West End, and even then it would be the

> equivalent of a journey through hell with drunks

> for about 2 hours. Now they're every 15 minutes

> and throughout the night.

>

I agree, Night Buses ARE better then they were years ago - but they're definately NOT every fifteen minutes. I get the 176 home from work (at night bus hours) home from Monday-Saturdays, and I usually wait 30 mins - 45 mins for a bus.

The heating on buses is slowly driving me insane. I find myself almost WILLING the driver to drive faster just so that some air gets into the buses. The thing about the heat bars, is that they rest by your feet, and blow rediculously hot air onto your feet, so as not to get burnt, hot, sweaty red feet by the end of your journey, you either have to rest them uncomfortably ontop of the bar, or let them hover ontop... Not very fun. I've always had a half mind to go and complain, but have never been arsed. Once I nearly threw up because it was so hot when the heaters were on.

However, I once flicked through a HGV/bus theory test manuel thing, and I remember it saying that above all things - your saftey, timetables, traffic, whatever that the passenger's saftey is paramount. And recently, drivers just haven't been driving like they give two damns about our saftey. I'm aware they've to deal with all the crazy people, but we've to sit with them on the journey and most of us don't say a word and just deal with it until we get to our bus stop.

And, I do LOVE travelling on the bus. I love nothing more then to sit on the top deck, left hand side at the front going into my own little world...

Buses are shit. At the weekend when I have to take public transport I usually get the train but every now and then I'll get persuaded by my girlfriend to give the bus another go. Last time, couple of women have an argument with each other about getting on and are oblivious that they're holding up the bus, then they decide not to get on so take off all their shopping and prams. Then the bus driver stops at the next stop because he's changing shift then we have for the drivers to chat and finish their fags before we move off. Then a couple of stops later someone gets on without paying so the driver turns off the engine, calls the police and sits in their cage saying nothing. A few of us have a go at the law breaking rascal for holding up the bus and eventually he reluctantly goes down and swipes his card. If you're ever on the bus and you hear someone mumbling "I fuc*ing hate buses" it maybe me.

Sorry, it was on the 176 so slightly off topic, but if you're going into town I recommend you get the train to London Bridge then cross the platform and get the train to Charing Cross. Can't use your pre-pay card but that's another story.

oh, I always say thanks to the driver ("cheers drive") at the end of a bus journey unless they've been a complete nob.

[edited once]

Jeremy said- 'Surely the government should be improving the public transport to tempt people into taking it, rather than cranking up taxes on motorists.'

It has to be both because public transport is never going to be door to door service so car use should be prohibitively expensive and public transport should be as cheap as possible to compensate for the discrepancy in their relative convenience.

As regards investing in public transport rather than penalising motorists then that leaves the question of where the money will come from.

Public transport has not become any cheaper in recent years. The car driver is penalised by a completely unlawful and discriminatory tax on driving in the centre of town, and we have not been given any return incentive to take buses and trains around town. The money should be found from central government if everything is as bad as the experts are saying about car useage. Up the congestion charge to 50 quid a day, that way you will penalise only the very rich who want to drive in the centre of town, and that can be used to cut the cost of travel on buses/trains/tube. It may then come across as a tax to help reduce the effects of global warming rather than come across as a blatant revenue making scheme, which actually isnt helping the environment at all.

Muttley Wrote:

> (Postscript: Until about 10 years ago, the No.40

> used to go to Herne Hill, and there was a

> doubledecker called the 184 that went to Goose

> Green. 184 got replaced by the less useful 484,

> but the No.40 diverted to Lordship Lane, which was

> a bonus. So I've always had a soft spot for it.)

Ahhh the 184, bless it... Was more than 10 years back though. The 184 was still running when I went to secondary school in '89, but I'm sure it was the 484 within a couple of years... Could be wrong.

Louisa Wrote:

> Public transport has not become any cheaper in

> recent years.

A counterexample. Yesterday I got on a 176 on LL, paid ?1 with my Oyster, and got off near Charing X 40 minutes later. I reckon it would have cost more than that 10 years ago. Even when Ken came into power, the cost of getting a bus into the centre of town was a minimum of ?1, so for my particular journey that's zero inflation over however many years he's been Mayor, as long as you use the Oyster.

Keef - you're right, 184 probably stopped in the early 90s. Oh, how the years fly by.

Keef Wrote:

> Muttley Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > (Postscript: Until about 10 years ago, the

> No.40

> > used to go to Herne Hill, and there was a

> > doubledecker called the 184 that went to Goose

> > Green. 184 got replaced by the less useful 484,

> > but the No.40 diverted to Lordship Lane, which

> was

> > a bonus. So I've always had a soft spot for

> it.)

>

> Ahhh the 184, bless it... Was more than 10 years

> back though. The 184 was still running when I went

> to secondary school in '89, but I'm sure it was

> the 484 within a couple of years... Could be

> wrong.

184 stopped about 93,94,but if my memory serves me right didnt it terminate at camberwell.

Took the 176 today from LL to Waterloo Bridge. When I got on, a guy moved aside so that I could put my folded pushchair on the luggage rack. As I made my way down the bus a young woman got out her seat and offered it to me because I was carrying my little boy. She didn't need to as the bus wasn't full. I declined and moved to the back of the bus where there was more space. The two women we sat opposite grinned at us from time to time (well probably grinned at my little boy, but forgive me if I take some reflected glory) As they left and others took their place, more grins. I got a lovely smile from a woman - in fact two lovely smiles. The temperature on the bus was reasonable. The driving was not so jerky as to be noticable. The atmosphere on the bus was pleasant. On the return, sat in the same seats at the back. Got huge grins from the woman and guy sitting opposite (they were not a couple). Started talking to the two of them. By end of journey my little one was playing tickle with the the woman. Laughter all round. Temp on bus - fine, driving, smooth. At end of journey collected pushchair from rack and the driver even let me off the front door so as to save me going back.

The reason I post is that I could have reported a negative story about the buses - we all have one - but then I am pretty damn sure that everyone here (save for Mark, perhaps) has lots of positive stories. if everyone posted their postive stories, ie those times they didn't notice the heating, didn't notice the driving, weren't interupted by a nutter, read their book in peace, my guess is that the thread would be longer than this one.

citizen

citizenED, this proves the 176 is a far superior bus to all the bus routes in London - despite its occasional faults, I do love it! LL - Waterloo Bridge everyday!

A nice thing to sometimes do if you have time, is to get the 40 to London Bridge, then walk along Bankside and South Bank to Covent Garden! Best walk in London

Sean, totally agree with your previous post re. getting off before The Strand and walking through Covent Garden. Do that pretty much whenever I go to the West End. And Redrouge, you are a Redrouge after my own heart, that southbank walk is something special. IMHO the whole of the Thames Path is fantastic now.

On the subject of favourite bus routes, I was told once that the 227 which runs in Bromley was often voted the best bus route in London. Have to admit that when I've taken it the drivers do seem friendlier. Trouble is that it was used by so many OAPs they kept the heating turned to max. Always thought they should rename it the 2-2-HOT.

citizen

Buses would be a lot better if the clientele were better behaved. I get on the 63/363 at elephant and castle. Not only do I have to content with big "ladies" using their weight to barge in front of me, but last night a HUGE bloke tried to push past me as several of us waited for people to come down the stairs to get off before we went up the stairs (logic surely!), I said "excuse me, we are all waiting to go up ", and he just pushed me more. So I pushed back. Then he stopped for a bit - and as i was going up the stairs , he pushed me again - very aggressively. Obviously thought his size was something intimindating - pah (6) I may be small but I have sharp elbows.

The buses can be excellent at times - except rush hour. I used to get on the 176 at the Strand and during rush hour it could be a real nightmare.

The 40 is easily the best bus to go through LL in terms of how busy it can get and the low level of ruffians that get on!