Cheap holiday in Devon near Lyme Regis

bee74

Hello

we moved from ED to Devon a couple of years ago - although we still work in London 3 days a week.

We are now setting up a rustic family friendly holiday place where the whole family can escape to a rustic rural idyll and have a lovely time immersed in nature.

We are restoring a unique live in wagon with lots of history - built by Oxford Council for workmen who were tarmacking the road, it was towed by a steam roller and retains many of the original features like a beautiful wooden floorboards and windows. It has a little kitchenette at the front, a toilet and shower in the middle and at the back, there is a room with a double bed and seating area in front of a cosy woodburner for cooler evenings or double doors opening onto a decked terrace for a slice of Devon heaven.

You are completely immersed in nature with simple off grid living (yes to electricity no to wi-fi unless you are desperate!. The wagon is on to the side of our large garden, on a very private and quiet field where all you can see is grass, trees and skies and a beautiful sunset! You can catch a glimpse of wild deer, rabbits, buzzards, swifts, lots of butterflies and our lesser spotted Molly the dog. At night, you can listen to the calls of the owls and fall asleep to the gentle babbling brook. If you love to star gaze, this is a great spot ? you can see the milky way and shooting stars on a clear night.

There is lots to do to keep the children entertained: a lovely outdoor playroom with bean bags, colouring stuff, toys etc; a climbing frame with swing, slide and monkey bars; a football goal on a level bit of lawn; a trapeze; a wild swing over a stream; rope ladders...

They are also free to roam in the field down to the stream with buckets and nets or in the vegetable patch where they can help plant seeds or harvest fruits (soon we will have apples and blackberries).

For the adults there is an outdoor fire pit for bbqs, lots of places to sit and chill, walk or cycle, read and enjoy a drink after kids' bedtime.

There is a lot to do around here ? ten minutes away you will find the Jurassic Coast both at Charmouth where you can look for fossils and explore the Heritage Centre and world famous Lyme Regis with lots of cafes and shops as well as a couple of interesting museums about fossils and Mary Anning, and of course the beach and water sports (SUP, kayak...); if you love Hugh Fearnley- Whittingstall, then Rivercottage is just down the road in Axminste, a cute market town; Bridport is just over 20 minutes away with antique shops, markets, bars and restaurants ? a rural version of ED... If it is nature that you prefer, there are endless lovely walking trails, coastal paths and riding opportunities in the beautiful hills of Devon and Dorset.

When you come back in the evening, if you have not eaten out you can cook a simple meal in the wagon or have a bbq outside. Alternatively we can cater for child ? friendly meal or bake a pizza in the outdoor pizza oven.

At bedtime, we have a firm double mattress handmade in the UK by Hypnos (holder of a Royal Warrant). It has individual pockets and ultra-resilient fillings of British wool, cashmere and mohair... We have an anti- allergy pillow and a goose feather and down pillow. There are two single mattresses for children and an extra one can be added if you find room!

In the morning, we can offer you a breakfast hamper with local free range and organic eggs and bacon, home made granola, bread and jams, plus apple juice directly from the orchard as well as yoghurt and milk.

If you forget something at home, we have spare wellies, nappies, clothes (up to age 8).

We are not quite finished yet, so no photos (next week) but we can take booking from late August.

Special ED offers ?90 per night for the first two bookings!

If you get in touch, I will be able to send photos soon.

Thank you

Hello, it is ?90 per night for everyone as an introductory offer, then ?90 - ?120 depending on season, days of the week and whether you want breakfast included. It can happily accommodate two adults and two children with an extra at a push!

Thank you

Archived