'Wildlife experts' and the fox story

Have you noticed the drivel coming out of the mouths of so-called 'wildlife experts' who have been rushing to the defence of urban foxes after the babies were mauled?

Here's an example:

"...Another top wildlife expert Terry Nutkins told Sky News Online that he is 75% sure that the attack was not carried out by a fox, saying it was more likely to be a dog or a cat.

He also wants to know more about the injuries of the youngsters. He said if they were scratched, rather than bitten, it was more likely to be a cat.

Mr Nutkins said: "There is more to the story than meets the eye. Why would a fox attack two people? A fox will attack a human if it is trapped. They won't go out of their way to attack a human."

He was also worried that the case may spark a backlash against foxes.

Mr Nutkins said: "There is a danger of an over reaction. Most people are frightened of wildlife. It does worry me that there will be a campaign against foxes and people will inflict cruelty against them."

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/Fox-Attack-On-Two-Young-Twins-Expert-John-Bryant-Says-Fox-Attracted-By-Soiled-Nappies/Article/201006215645679?lpos=UK_News_Carousel_Region_2&lid=ARTICLE_15645679_Fox_Attack_On_Two_Young_Twins%3A_Expert_John_Bryant_Says_Fox_Attracted_By_Soiled_Nappies

Apart from the issue of whether or not the parents know what a fox looks like, of course there's more to this story Mr Nutkins ... the fox saw the babies as food.

silverfox Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Have you noticed the drivel coming out of the

> mouths of so-called 'wildlife experts' who have

> been rushing to the defence of urban foxes after

> the babies were mauled?

With one (1) urban fox attack of any note to speak of since.. well - since ever - they kind of have a point.

Indeed.. ten years-worth of local rags from all over the UK have been scoured for minor tales of Fox attack.

Local news and radio has been inundated with terrifying reports of people having had foxes 'looking at them in a funny way' and - on occasion - it requiring more than one attempt to shoo them away.

I expect there will now be a rash of air-gun and trapping enthusiasts rushing out to save us from The Fox Menace, before driving home over speed humps at 40mph in their 4x4s to feed their enormous carnivorous dogs.

I rode the bike home last night and there was a fox outside my garage.

He walked away licking his lips to about three garages along whilst I put my bike inside.

Kept my helmet and armoured jacket on, just in case. He was looking pretty hungry.

Then I realised he was actually salivating over my beautiful bike.

I threw him a kitten, just to keep him happy.

My heart goes out to this family. I hope the babies would make a speedy recovery.

As a parent there's nothing worse than having to encounter an attack on your hapless little baby who obviously doesn't have a defense mechanism.

Are they reinstating fox hunting as a hobby now?

I don't think there is a ban on fox hunting as such. You can shoot as many of them as you like.

You just aren?t allowed to chase them down with a pack of dogs who then rip them apart inhumanely.

Although perhaps if you arranged enough hoodies on BMXs with pit bulls they could do the same. If they managed to keep from stabbing each other that is.

http://www.eastlondonadvertiser.co.uk/content/towerhamlets/advertiser/news/story.aspx?brand=ELAOnline&category=news&tBrand=northlondon24&tCategory=newsela&itemid=WeED09%20Jun%202010%2012%3A21%3A52%3A430

Looks like Boris is concentrating his efforts to keep the urban foxes at bay so you're right Silvefox, there's a loophole - watch out!

Only if he could take similar approaches to other "menaces" that threaten our society like the kind Brendan's talking about...!

Police protection for baby fox attack family

Police have been placed on guard outside the family home where two baby girls were mauled by a fox, following online threats from animal rights activists...

The move follows abuse on internet forums set up by those who believe foxes are suffering unfairly. One Facebook site, called ?Pauline Koupparis is a lying b****?, has been taken down. On another site, Urban Fox Defender, a user posted: ?There's too little evidence of this being a fox attack? it reeks of a constructed hype.?...

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23844560-police-protection-for-fox-attack-family.do

• 1 month later...

meduza Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> What about all the dog attacks on children..? One

> incident surely deserves genocide for the whole

> species!!!

What shoot all the kids?!?!?! A bit harsh surely 8-)