Runaway pig

I've been an East Dulwich dweller for a few years now, thought i'd join up after lurking for a while. I just wondered if any other ED'ers had seen the pig that was running along the side of the road on East Dulwich Grove (the schools end) - i saw it on Saturday, mid afternoon, and wondered where it had come from. Anybody know about this or saw it?

Indeed it can get out of hand, but it helps pass the time of day.

So to clarify, there was a pig of the non-Spider variety sighted in East Dulwich. I'm sure i wasnt the only one to see this. Maybe this could become the ED equivalent of the Cornish Great White sighting, although a pig might not have quite the same news-worthiness.

The beast of Sydenham made an appearance in my East Dulwich garden once! I kid you not. It was not a pig though but it did nearly eat one of my cats and leapt my 7 foot fence when I chased it with my chef's knife!

Asset Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> was it pot-bellied (or you?).

From what i saw the pig wasn't "low riding". I will ask my wife who was in the car with me if she can remember anything unusual about the pig and report back. Although seeing a pig in itself was rather unusual. I will also ask her about my pot belly.

david_carnell Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Small, pink, cloven-hoofed, porcine quadriped.

>

> Answers to the name of Babe.

>

> Not known to be dangerous to humans unless

> under-cooked but approach with caution.

>

> Police advise that salt helps with the crackling.

does it have a curly tail and like wallowing in mud?

I asked my wife and like myself thought this was a classic pig, as in pink, not an exotic breed. It probably was a foot off the ground, not massive, not young so it could run rather than waddle. Lost sight of it after we passed the school so who knows where it went. Is it possible to keep a pig as a pet? Could it belong to someone on ED grove? Anyone know a friend of a friend with a pig? My wife thinks i should let my pig fascination go and maybe get on with my life.

People do keep pigs as pets. The preferred breed is the Vietnamese Pot Bellied Pig. One of my friends in South Africa had one. They tend to be favored by ?alternative? arty types who think it will make them interesting to have a pig as a pet. Then they realise that it actually takes an awful lot of training and looking after or else it eats your furniture. Unfortunately many of them end up being sent of to farms* where piggy wiggy becomes baky wacon.

*The pigs not the ?alternative? arty types.

kind of makes me homesick all this talk of pigs etc roaming around the place,manys the time when i was living back home,the town centre would be closed off as some farmer ran his cattle,sheep,pigs through the town,mind you now when i think of it the place used to stink to high heaven afterwards,so maybe not so nostalgic after all.