Consultation now open for the proposed secondary school on East Dulwich Grove

Formal consultation is now open (until August 12th) concerning the planning application for the proposed secondary school on East Dulwich Grove. All relevant documents etc are on Southwark?s planning site:

http://planbuild.southwark.gov.uk:8190/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=_STHWR_DCAPR_9567474

16/AP/2740 | Demolition of existing ward buildings and nurses accommodation and development of site to provide a new secondary school within the retained and refurbished 'Chateau' building fronting East Dulwich Grove and in a series of new buildings and extensions up to 5 storeys high, comprising teaching and administration spaces, dining and indoor sports hall, multi-use games area, accesses, car parking and servicing areas and landscaping (Use Class D1). | DULWICH HOSPITAL, EAST DULWICH GROVE, LONDON, SE22 8PT

I am supportive of the school scheme, it's about time. However, as a resident of one of the neighbouring streets, I have concerns around traffic and parking. There are a multitude of docs on the application but the traffic assessments make interesting reading. 140 staff and just 23 parking spaces on-site. Southwark Planning support this minimal provision. The traffic statement concludes that the overspill can be accommodated in neighbouring streets. Not realistic. When the school roll is at full capacity the assessment reckons that of the 1680 students around 30 will be driven to school. There is no pick up drop off facility in the design. Up until 2022 the main pedestrian entrance will be on Jarvis road, over 1000 students and staff using this entrance, not the main entrance on east dulwich grove. There are a group of residents based in Melbourne Grove who will be seeking better engagement and consultation on these plans. Pm me if you would like to be kept in the loop.

It would be great if the aspirations of the sustainable travel policy are realised but with southern providing practically no service during rush hour and bus routes needing to be changed and extended, this seems unlikely in the near future.

I work in an office building with about 1,500 employees and there are 20parking spaces. Most people do not drive to work in London. In fact, I can't think of anyone I know who does.

I also think the assumption most secondary school age children will walk is perfectly reasonable given the catchment will be less than a 2 mile radius.

Also there is nothing wrong with the pedestrian access being on Jarvis rd in my view. Heber Primary has a large number of pupils (500 excluding the nursery) and staff (at a guess about 70) and that entrance is on a quiet residential road. Its fine.

Jules-and-Boo wrote (on the other thread):

>yes it is about the Health Cente, but I do just want to say - my daughter's going to the new school and - as the >temporary school is on a different site - the school are encouraging

>1) parents / teachers to lead groups of cyclists to the school

>2) teachers to meet the children at key bus stops to walk together

>3) school bus for those who live far....pick up from the ED Site

>

>There is NOTHING which encourages driving...AT ALL.

>

>I think the new school is brilliant and I'm looking foward to the site being used properly.

>

>Back to the Health Centre (sorry - but I think the parking is a distraction)

The parking is not a distraction. There will likely be a major impact on local roads when the long-term site is up and running. This does not mean I'm 'against' the school, it means that we have to look at the detail of the planning application.

Once it moves from the temporary site, most pupils will be very local, so there will not necessarily be a great impact from them being driven to school (unlike the local private schools which take in from far and wide), but what about the teaching and other staff? How many of the 140 will use public transport? And what will the school do to discourage driving among staff and visitors?

These are perfectly legitimate questions for locals to ask.

• 3 weeks later...