Second pregnancy: how does it compare?

I am about four months into my secong pregnancy(17wks)and there's one thing in particular that scares/amazes me. I started showing very early and now I sometimes look about 6 months in the evenings. In the mornings however I have a nice neat small bump! Also I have felt some flutterings but cant be 100% sure it is the baby and not gas! During my first pregnancy I did not really have a bump till 19wks.Sometimes I dont feel pregnant at all just fat. My only symtoms have been headaches/migraines and hunger/light headedness

How has it been for everyone else?

This is exactly how I feel! I am 17 weeks and feel like I look MUCH bigger than last time, especially at night. And the weight seems distribute differently so I feel like I look fat instead of pregnant. Last night I thought I felt the baby but was unsure as well. I have asked others and they say they showed much differently the second time around. Maybe if I had done some sort of stomach exercises after baby 1 my stomach wouldnt look so big now? But I didnt. Oh well!

I was due on November 5th but after first scan they changed my due date to Oct 29. I told them no way did I have the dates wrong but apparently the baby was measuring almost a week bigger than it should! Not having secong scan till July 2nd - cant wait. I have a daughter who is 4 next sunday

In my first pregnancy that happened to me. They moved my date by a week even thought I was certain of the date myself. In the end I was induced at 2 weeks "late" although I told them and was convinced it was just one week. I wish I would have waited that extra week!

I am away on holiday for one month to visit my family so having second scan on June 18th. Still debating if I should find out the sex as I did the first time but think I want to wait this time.

Hey ladies. I'm due mid September with my second and started showing much earlier than with my first. Now at 24 weeks I look as big as I did when I was 7 months pregnant first time! First time I didn't have a proper bump until about 26 weeks.

nymom - do join our "Autumn babies" thread. We can also continue this kind of chat there! My daughter is 3 - so Supergolden sounds like our kids might be good ages to play together if we can meet up once babies are born?

Molly x

2nd pregnancy my bump was obvious by 12 weeks, no hiding it whatsoever - I'm quite small framed, it was obviously a baby bump. I was worried that I would be the size of a house by term, but it seemed to slow down and even out a bit midway through the pregnancy, thank goodness!

I would definitely love to meet up with you all for coffee or lunch etc. My office job is due to be reduced to two days a week in June so I should have some free time (when I am not doing my freelance work from home!)

I want to find out the sex (did first time too) if only so I can prepare my daughter and myself. If it is a boy it sure is going to arrive to a house of pink, dolls, frilly dresses etc.

My bump was huge and high earlier but now it seems to have dropped and i look smaller at 6 months than i did a month ago!i am way more tired and my legs resemble a google map.

emotionally i am really different than the first time around, i can cry at nothing, and i'm sure i wasnt like that before!

And, dare i say it, i feel less excited. Probably because I was soooo excited the first time, and probably because between number one and hubby I don't have that much time to myself to just feel pregnant, instead I am pregnant/mummy/wife/cleaner/cook person.

Is anyone else desperate to win euromillions? just once...?

i too am die number 2 (27 weeks) and think that i am smaller this time round... with my son i showed really early, had a huge bump that measured 3 weeks ahead the whole time and towards the end could see the looks of sympathy i got as i walked down the street (also used to lie about my due date as i couldn't bear the constant comments about the size of the bump)... this time it is def smaller and measures dates.. however, that does not make it any more manageable with a 3 year old to look after thought...

traditionally subsequent pregnancies will show quicker, get big quickly and then plateau out from about 28 weeks or so....

I definitely started showing earlier. Last time was in regular work suits until nearly 5 months, this time, have had a very pronounced bump from around 10 weeks.

The most significantly different thing for me this time is that the 'wonder' of being pregnant is gone. I either don't think about it, or find myself getting annoyed by the niggles. Oh and also so so so much more tired.

The best part of round 2, though is sharing it with number 1 - her questions make me laugh (when the baby comes out, will she drink milk out of your boobies?) and it's sweet when they say things like 'shall I pick it up for you because you can't bend down very well, can you?' And I love hearing her talk about the baby by name as if she is already on the outside.

that is so true, there is no wonder of pregnancy anymore it is a function that makes a baby and little else...

my little boy is really not that interested in the bump, if i tell him there is a baby in there he thinks i am talking about my sisters baby and if he is asked what is in there says it is a shark!!

I'm so glad you started this thread! I'm 16 weeks today and have been showing very obviously from 7 weeks. Work colleagues now assume I am about 6 months pregnant so it's humiliating to confess my actual due date. I started to feel flutters in Week 14.

My four year old has very kindly confirmed that mummy's bottom is growing at the same rate as her tummy - which she thinks is hilarious!

Each day when I pick her up from nursery, she kisses my bump. All her friends rush out to ask how the baby is (as well as how did it get there and how is it getting out?!!!). Whenever I'm eating, she asks if the baby likes it - which of course I say yes to!

nymum and supergolden88 sounds like we're all within days of one another - I'm due 12th November. Would love to meet some other mums in the area due the same time as me. I work full time so it's hard to make any connections before maternity leave starts! How old are your other children? My little girl is 4 and starts at Goodrich in September.

So glad I'm not the only HUGE pregnant lady out there!

I am due end of Nov, currently 14w and am not showing. Hard not to worry a little bit but everything was fine at our scan not long ago. Trish, I am another Nov EDD. I also have a 7 yo boy (at Heber) and 2yo B/G twins

Fuschia - sounds like we might bump into each other on the baby circuit later on this year! I take my hat off to you - twins and two others! I too am a twin - my mum found it very hard (she literally had a nervous breakdown) but my brother and I are so close now. It's a very special relationship.

I would really like to meet other mums in the area who will have babies around the time my second is born - was living in Greenwich with the first and my NCT friends have mostly moved out of London now. My son is turning 2 in a month - am I crazy to have a second so soon??? He only slept through the night for the first time a week ago, and this is not consistent. When it is is is from 8:30-5. Anyway, I am home now with him so am pretty flexible. Am going away for a month this summer to visit family but from mid July on I am back.I feel better that many of you are showing because I feel HUGE!

I am 24 weeks with my second and it feels I have been pregnant forever as I have been showing since the 7th week! when I went for the 12th week scan the woman scanning thought I came for the 22nd week scan. I am loving being pregnant but I am hoping to slow down soon, good to hear it has happened to so many of you ladies!

littleEDfamily Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hey so, this is weird. After feeling massive the

> whole pregnancy, I am now just about 36 weeks and

> suddenly my bump seems to have got smaller....

> anyone else had this weird experience, or have I

> just lost all perspective?

That's normal if the head goes into the pelvis...