Commuting to East Croydon from East Dulwich (Driving)

Hi,

I am considering a job in East Croydon area and am likely to try driving. I just wanted to check if anybody does this commute regularly around rush hour to get a sense of how long it might take and whether traffic is bearable?

I have two young children and therefore can leave the house at around 7.30am and need to get back for 6.30pm at the latest...

Thoughts/ advice much appreciated!!!

amydown Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hi,

>

> I am considering a job in East Croydon area and am

> likely to try driving. I just wanted to check if

> anybody does this commute regularly around rush

> hour to get a sense of how long it might take and

> whether traffic is bearable?

>

> I have two young children and therefore can leave

> the house at around 7.30am and need to get back

> for 6.30pm at the latest...

>

> Thoughts/ advice much appreciated!!!

I really would avoid driving if at all possible - we take my mother-in-law her shopping each week in East Croydon and in rush hour it seldom takes less than fifty minutes to get there and our record is over two hours; the roads are too narrow for the current volume of traffic and the slightest interference in terms of roadworks, accidents or bus breakdowns throw the whole journey into chaos. Maybe someone can give you a cunning route which avoids all this but from our experience it's something which would drive me insane if it was my daily commute.

Cheers,

Rendel

I work in East Croydon and I go on my motorbike or get the train from ED to West Croydon, it takes 25 mins - then 5 minute walk to East Croydon. Otherwise jump on a bus to Forest Hill, train to East Croydon takes 14 mins from there.

The traffic is pretty awful so I haven't even attempted it in the car, but I can get there in 20 minutes on my motorbike.

Ditto. I'd go for the train option preferably from Forest Hill. There are two direct trains per hour to East Croydon, but there are four Overground trains to West Croydon. Get on at the 5th carriage and at West Croydon, there is an exit that takes you directly to the Tramstop with trams to East Croydon which takes less than 5 mins.

I'd personally avoid Southern at all costs when commuting to Croydon until the situation is resolved.

Hi I live in Croydon and work in ED, I commute by car and it really is not that bad, easiest way would be through Crystal palace down Anerley hill, then into Elmers end, turn right for Croydon. Another option would be Crystal park Rd into Penge Turn right on to Maple road, left on to Melvin Rd, on to croydon Rd, left into Elmers end. lots of different possibilities. Good luck

I used to commute from ED to E Croydon by car. It was well over ten years ago, so things have probably changed. But I'd go along Kirkdale, Lawrie Park Rd, Thicket Rd, Auckland Rd, Whitehorse Lane, Whitehorse Rd, then park at Fairfield Halls. 20-25 mins.

Is it possible to do a trial run one morning?

On the handful of occasions I used public transport (so I could have a beer after work), the trains back were erratic and infrequent. I soon decided that the pubs in Croydon weren't worth the hassle!

On a recent trip we took cabs to and from East Croydon to get down to Gatwick, both times early Saturday morning, and it took exactly 28 minutes from Dulwich Library (roughly following Jeremy's route above).

I presume during rush hour it would be a lot longer - personally I would follow BicBasher's suggestion on taking the Overground from Forest Hill (around 17 minutes)