Toddler shoes - alternatives to Clarks/Start Rite

Are there any? That do width fittings? Baby snowboarder is sturdy and running around and would like some summer shoes, but has weeny but chubby feet (3G) - and clarks etc don't seem to think children with that size feet need sandals or canvas shoes (start at size 4)? Maybe mothercare etc are fine but I just worry and would like to get them fitted properly, esp with his feet being a bit wider than usual. Has anyone bought any of the umi range? Reluctant to buy on internet and damage soft baby feet...

My daughter has off the Clark's / Start-Rite scale width feet - which is depressing when it comes to shoe buying. Definitely try Biff in Dulwich Village - that's the best place to start. You might have to pay more for different brands - but at least you'll get a few options. You're lucky you have a boy - as there tends to be more styles made in the wider fittings for boys than girls. I used to get pretty low when the assistant opened up the boxes and the only choice we had was to go with boys' shoes. I even wrote to Clarks to complain (in one of my weirder moments) - their response was to tell me that there isn't a demand for children with wide feet (!).

Edited to also add - Biff do UMI - a brand we have bought on many occasions. Really good quality and decent designs.

I'd second Merlins in Crystal Palace. They do other makes of shoes with width measurements (my LO is a G) and have some 'good' summer shoes for toddlers too, although that may depend on where baby SB is on the cruising/walking scale.

I got a brand called Garvin there for my LO which Ive been v happy with.