Man in Wheelchair

Zak

Karrie, that is a fair point (about how people respond to people refusing help). I work with blind people, and have been told by several that they sometimes accept help they don't really want, because if they don't, they get tutted at, like they are being rude for wanting to be independent.

Karrie Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I sort of agree with you Keef, but also sort of

> disagree with you. What I mean by this is, that I

> think this thread 'could' be quite educational, as

> I do feel there has been a real concern for his

> welfare but also confusion on how a person should

> react when people refuse help. I feel that such

> discussions can be important to stop such

> prejudices and so actually could be quite

> beneficial to the man concerned and others like

> him, if kept toward such a goal, that is.

This thread 'is' quite educational in that it confirms the propensity of ED to remain far beyond the furthest reaches of self-parody.

*claps*

EcoWill Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Iv'e seen him about alot recently, yes as always

> at the side of cafe Nero. Have attempted to speak

> to him as I'm Irish myself.

So do you have to be Irish in order to attempt any conversation with someone you think may need some help? :)

I borrowed a wheelchair the other day so that I may be able to speak to him on his level.

Despite having carted myself all over the borough, he was nowhere to be found!

Still, the good will of others astounded me. One fellow caried me (+chair) all the way back to my house! Apparently 'we folk need people to look out for us, as we can't manage by ourselves'. I thought about it, and I guess he's right.

what is this? a patronise the disabled thread? lock him up in a cage for his own safety, eh? obviously he shouldn't be out on the streets. especially not on his own.

nah, every time i see him, i make him eat a tin of fruit cocktail i bought him from londis. it makes him dead miserable like, but at least i can sleep soundly at night knowing i'm the goodiest of all the two-shoes.

Hmmmm....how about not focusing on the wheelchair, the 'difference' and treating him like you'd treat anyone else you didn't know?

What I mean is (not ignore them!!) but ask if they're ok (if that feels appropriate) and if they say that they are, respect it.

There's nothing worse than telling someone you're ok and then having them keep bloomin' asking!!