Take Back Parliament

This Satursday at 2pm a Take Back Parliament demo taking place in Parliament Square.

Despite the Lib Dem/Tory coalition agreeing:

- fixed term parliaments

- a right to recall corrupt MPs

- a statutory register of lobbyists

- deepening devolution in Scotland and Wales

- a review into how parliament should resolve the ?West Lothian Question?

- party funding reform

- measures to codify British sovereignty

- House of Lords elected via Proportional Representation

- referendum on House of Parliament beign elected via Alternative Vote.

Many feel that wont go far enough. I agree with them - but am still delighted at the propect of all these changes happening.

For further details of the demo http://www.takebackparliament.com/undemocratic or if you?d liek to be a steward [email protected]

As both a small "c" and large "C" conservative I think the list goes far enough, for now. Revolutionary change is rarely good, slow evolutionary change is generally better. My preference would be to see how these changes play out before we embark on further changes.

Of course as I also have libertarian instincts - the idea of lots of government, certainly lots of big government, is anathama to me.

I'm not sure what they're trying to achieve - they don't think they're going to get PR by doing this do they?

I don't think anyone discusses the possible negative consequences of PR: that the link between the MP and the constituency is fractured, and that the MPs are essentially prioritised and selected by internal party machinery that is entirely divorced from the electorate.

It's rather naive to assume that PR is necessarily more representative.

Give me AV any day, but PR? Not so sure...

- House of Lords elected via Proportional Representation

- referendum on House of Parliament beign elected via Alternative Vote.

This follows the Australian system, which works rather well. Stable lower house, wider representation in the upper house.

This is a pressure group for Proportional Representation.

PR is a manifesto commitment of the Lib Dems that the Conservatives have come out strongly against.

The Lib Dems would support this protest because it affirms the conviction behind their commitment.

So um, excuse me Cllr Chapman, but aren't you supposed to be a leading local politician who would be aware of this? Or is this an example of Palin politics, where it's smart to act poorly informed?

Haha - I'm not 'Cllr' Chapman nor a 'leading local politician'.

For what it's worth AV plus would be my tipple - retains the constituency link and means every vote counts.