BMW M3 E46 Convertible SMG II SOLD

The following post is by my husband:

Greetings this is an advertisement for the sale of my 2003 BMW M3 E46 Convertible

The BMW E46 M3's styling, power and handling are now legendary and due to this their prices are on the rise as they are becoming a very desirable driver's and collector's car. This particular model is of the convertible variant with the SMG II gearbox (the very same gearbox used in the legendary CSL). It is a very presentable car in excellent mechanical order and presents a great opportunity for anyone wanting either to invest in the E46 M3 or to experience its unique driving experience.

Key Details

Registration date December 2003

Mileage: 92,867 (accurate according to previous MOT certificates and HPI mileage discrepancy check)

MOT expiry date: June 2017 (The only advisory note was for low tread on the rear tyres)

Number of previous owners: 5 (However, please note in reality this 4 as the last owner reregistered the log book due to changing their name, I have proof of this)

Colour: Titanium silver, and black leather interior

HPI Clear: The HPI report can be downloaded from here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8cuxbeb9pdoo2ix/VE53%20JXB%20HPI%20Report.pdf?dl=0

The car?s bodywork is visually very presentable, it does look stunning! However, it does have a few age related blemishes such as scratches and stone chips. In my opinion these do not to undermine the general presentation of the car but I think it is important to mention. The car has a front splitter and rear diffuser, these are bolt on parts and can be easily removed if the owner wants the factory look. The subframe has been checked and does not show any signs of cracking or damage. The convertible roof has no issues and functions as it should.

The car?s interior is simply excellent. There is no visible wear to the side bolsters or other parts of the trim including the door handles which normally wear. It has a alcantara style handbrake and gearstick gaiter, with the M tri colour stitching. Also the car benefits from a set of aluminium paddle shifters. I think these extras enhance the presentation of the interior, but included in the sale are the original parts. Also the car has a set of new car mats.

The wheels have been recently refurbished and painted in metallic graphite and new wheel bolts and locking wheel nuts have been fitted to complete. Also new front tyres (Bridgestones) have been fitted with a full hawkeye 4 wheel alignment (rear tyres are Michelins).

The engine and SMG II gearbox run perfectly. The engine does not have any Vanos issues, and is relatively quiet for the S54 M-tuned engine. It accelerates as it should and works faultlessly. The same can be said for the SMG II gear box, it is a pleasure to drive. The gear changes are smooth in the auto mode while driving around town, but it can be extremely fast and aggressive in the highest sport setting. There are main dealer receipts for some very expensive gearbox work which only adds confidence to the future longevity of the gearbox. It is worth adding the car has uprated CATS, which have a noticeable improvident on throttle response and also enrich the straight 6 rasp at high revs. I have driven a number of E46 M3's and this car is outstanding in terms of its steering feel, acceleration and gearbox shifts. In my opinion this car drives better than a lot of lower mileage cars marked up at a considerably higher price.

I only have part service history for the car, but a call to BMW has confirmed the car has had many visits to its garages throughout its life and therefore if the new owner wishes they can request a duplicate record from BMW service centres. In addition there is a great amount of BMW documentation present including many paid receipts from BMW main dealer service centres, which add up to just under ?10,000. This all suggests the car has been well maintained by BMW throughout its life.

The car has recently had the following work undertaken:

New BMW brake discs and pads all round

New front tyres Bridgestone Potenza

Hawkeye 4 wheel alignment at GT tyres

Two new serpentine belts

Lower radiator hose and sensor

Coolant flush and replacement

New rear trailing arm bushes on both sides (upgraded to powerflex)

New BMW springs all round (previous owner had lowered the car)

Rear differential seal replacement and new BMW specification oil (Castrol Syntrax LSD 75W140 with Redline friction modifier)

Full service using BMW specification oil (Castrol edge M spec)

New wishbone and track rod end

New handbrake lever

New window washer motor

New wiperblades

Optional extras: I also have a hardtop for the car and a wind deflector these will be sold at a reasonable price if the a potential buyer is interested.

I feel I have competitively priced the car taking into account all the factors mentioned above (Cars with a similar mileage, same year sell upwards of 9K). This is a car which has a lot of money recently spent on it and is mechanically very sound. The major serviceable components have been addressed and therefore will not require the new owner to spend on them in the near future. The car is a absolute pleasure to drive, it's fast, the steering is precise and when you want it to be it is a comfortable luxury convertible cruiser.

Thank you,

Archived