Ivanhoe Road

AEZ

Hello,

I have just moved into my lovely home on Ivanhoe road.. I am number 34... I know that my house used to be a shop, does anyone have any information on what kind of shop it was/information on the history of the area in general?

Would love to hear all about it!

We used to live on Ivanhoe Rd. I think that side of the road has been mainly residential for a long, long time. Although there was a minicab office on that side of the road in the early 2000s.

The pub on the corner opened (in it's final incarnation as "Hoopers") around 2008, and it was a nice place, but sadly didn't work out and closed maybe three years ago.

I checked the census for you.

In 1901, Edgar and Alice Bryant were at No. 32. He was a hairdresser. No. 34 was uninhabited.

No. 36 was a Grocers - Arthur and Martha Simmons with their 6 children. No. 38 was a Drapers.

In 1891, No. 32 was uninhabited. At No. 34 was the verger of St Saviour's, and family - Charles and Rebecca Milner with their 2 children, Susan, 20 and William, 19. At No. 36 was Joseph and Elizabeth Morris, Provisions Dealer. At No. 38 were 2 sisters, Emma and Edith Rolfe - it was a Stationers/Confectioners.

Thanks so much GSJ57,

It's so fascinating to know... could you please tell me where you found this information? Do you know where there might be any more information for me to find out?

I would REALLY like to know what this shop was! Thanks so much again for getting back to me!

AEZ

Hi Rubby,

Yes I've been trying to find out and can't seem to find anything. We have just moved here and we're fascinated to know what this area used to be like because it has so much character!

AEZ

I have a subscription to Ancestry.co.uk. They have all the census records in their database. I did look for your house in 1881, but the houses only show up as names, so hard to tell where No. 34 would be - if indeed it had been built yet.

You might get lucky with just a google search for old maps of London.

I tracked down the 1911 census for you too.... The address was written as 34 Ivanhoe Road, Denmark Park, SE.

34 Ivanhoe Rd

Frederick Burrin age 44 Grocer

Kate Eliza Burrin age 46 wife

Winifred Evelyn Burrin age 11 daughter

No 36 was a newsagent and tobacconist.

If you want to pm me your email address I can email you the image.