NAPPIES?

My new born is exploding poo out of the Nature Boy nappies I have bought. I am trying to be eco friendly, would rather not use Pampers etc, but surely every poo should not be leaking out? Is there another more reliable eco disposable, or do I need mainstream nappies to stem the leaks?

PS I alreday face a mountain of washing form older children and cannot really face any more, so while I am full of admiration for you reusable nappy users, I am not convinced that is for me. I'd like to use a more eco friendly disposable if such a thing exists.

Thanks for any recommenedations.

I gather sburys Eco nappies are good. They all sit in landfill the same so don't be too hung up on brand from that point of view. If due to chemical content that's different.

Do understand re washing but if every nappy is leaking that is prob more washing than cloth!

Some babies are just very 'explosive' but usually becomes less so once over the first few months, hang in there!

M

We had similar problems when our son was little. TBH nature ones were better than others, certainly better than pampers and sainsburys. Have you tried moving up a size? Otherwise bamboo are also good as are moltex.

Another vote for Moltex - but we never had the need to change to anything else they did us all the way through - I even composted some of them. I think sometimes it's to do with the shape of the child v shape of the nappy. Some nappy designs suit slimmer babies, some suit tubby ones better.

Otherwise go & see Molly & get some expert advice on some cotton ones - you might be suprised.

Hhhmmm without wanting to start unnecessary bickering I'm with sillywoman. Nappies do vary depending on the shape of your baby especially if you go with the washables and Molly at The Nappy Lady offers a great service in showing you what's available with suggestions depending on whether your baby is tall, short, slim etc. As for disposable they also vary, my NCT group apart from me all use disposables and have tried various ones before settling on their preferred choice - mostly to do with which ones can last through the night without leaking or needing a change.

Something I realized was that I went through twice as many eco friendly nappies as the regular kind, which to me kind of cancelled out the "eco" part.

In the early days my group of mom friends and I agreed to each buy one brand of nappies, then we had a nappy swap and each went home with a handful of each to try out. Saved us lots of money and hassle.

We started with Pampers but ended up with Huggies for my thick legged cherub. They really do depend on body shape.

Re; your original question katgod - I tried a couple of different cloth nappies and all the disposables mentioned above (except Sainsburys as it goes) and NOTHING stopped it getting out onto his pristine sleep suits at the exploding poo stage. Several times a day. Sorry, it's not much use to you but at least you can congratulate yourself on having produced such a prodigy.

ClaireinSE22, that's fair enough, but hand on heart, if you get a good two piece cloth nappy system - nappy with separate wrap over the top they do give much, much better containment - 95% compared to most disposables which perform at 75%.

The reason I used cloth was because of the way disposables leaked compared to the cloth nappies.

I used 'posies for 10 weeks with my first daughter and had at least one (often more) leak every day, switched to cloth and had 3 leaks from then till she was 1. Second daughter in cloth from birth and again, would say I had 4 leaks in the first year. But some cloth nappies are, frankly useless.

I fully appreciate cloth isn't for everyone, and I'm not even doing the Cloth Nappy Advice any more in the way I was, (too much other stuff going on in my life), but with cloth the key is getting good advice and the right system otherwise a lot of people give them a try and give up on them thinking they don't work.

Anyway, I really, really don't want to take the thread off on a tangent, and katgod, I don't have any big mission here to try to change your mind, anyone who has ever had advice from me will be able to confirm that I tell people to use disposables as and when they need to, like you'd use paper plates for a party etc. I'm not some kind of anti-disposable nutter.

I started off sitting on my hands not to even post on this thread, and apologise if it annoys anyone that I have. I'm no environmental saint, and we are all doing what we can, within our own lives I know.

Molly

x

We were good with Moltex too. And ours was prone to explosive poos as well, but I agree some leakage is par for the course. Main reason we stuck with the ecos if that I can't stand the smell of Pampers et al when 'used' - don't know what they put in them (gels etc) that just doesn't seem right to me. Whereas there is something quite nicely earthy about Moltex.

Speaking of exploding poos, I remember the time I took my daughter to get weighed at the baby clinic and just as I was putting her nappy back on (no spares with me), a week's worth of poo came flying out of her, straight onto me, the wall behind me (really!!) and all over the change table. Just as I was trying to contain wave 1, wave 2 hit. I walked home with her in the Bjorn covered in poo, her naked except for my cardie draped over her. Aaaahhh... the memories.

thanks all. will try moltex. am trying to avoid the gel and chlorine as much as the landfill really. she is really much more explosive than her siblings were, but not quite as talented as baby littleEDfamily (yet). used moltex fot the others when they were older.

thinking Bellenden Bear may be onto somthing tho. then if i decide to try fully eco i will have half the kit already. but if Molly is not the nappy lady anymore, do i need to start a whole new thread on wraps?? ( ps - i know, search the archives, is all there no doubt!)

thanks ladies

pps am in awe of the nct group with nappy testing rota. back when i had my first my nct group was very much all about the cakes!

Hi Katgod,

Well, I am and I'm not.....in that I've stopped doing the full on advice letters, and weekly demos, but am doing some outreach work for Southwark Council still, and a monthly demo at my local Surestart....can't quite hang up my hat completely :-)

Oh - for anyone else, you can still get advice letters via the website, and then come to my Surestart demo if you want to see exactly what it is you've had recommended to you. I just didn't have the time to do the letters any more.

So, you are very welcome to give me a shout if you want some advice on wraps, and I can sort you out a 5% discount on anything off the website still......call me Arfur Daley if you like, wink, wink.

Best wishes, Molly

[email protected]

07977 130318

Fair enough Molly. I wouldn't claim to have tried all options in the cloth nappy line....I bearly managed to fit in toilet breaks for myself, in those first few crazy months. littleEDfamily - thanks a million for your glorious post - I will file it carefully away in memory under the 'there's always someone worse of than yourself' tab.

No worries Claire, it's just I know people have bad experiences and give up, and don't realise not all cloth nappies are bad (want to say in a silly voice "when good nappies turn B A D" at this point LOL).

littleEDfamily almost exactly the same thing happened to me with my first daughter at baby clinic - took her nappy off to be weighed on a low coffee table type affair, kneeling at her feet, and she did an explosive poo which went all over me, the change mat and the carpeted floor. I didn't know how many positions to apologise in, but they assured me it had happened many times before, and your post has finally helped me to believe this is the case. Ah, the joy of motherhood.

Molly

Edited because experimenting with the bold function did some strange things, but got it sussed now!

Our youngest did the same at the special care unit of Kings while she had her breastmilk jaundice check up.

Doctor went out to get something (can't remember what) and when he came back there was a 'mustard stream' all over his wall, that shelf unit where they keep all the sterilised products (swabs,syringes etc), his phone!

V. funny now - the look on his face!

I remember my Mum having something similar happen with my sister when she was a baby - our (then) 5yr old brother and his friend were watching and thought it was the most fantastic thing ever... think she shot up in their estimations!!

Explosive poo is one of the more amusing aspects of having a baby, for sure. I didn't realise it was normal for breastfed babies to 'save up' their poo. After a week of no poo, we'd start to notice our daughter getting irritable and we'd get very excited about the 'exorcism'!! We even have a couple of photos to remember the force that was unleashed.

Ok, I have probably crossed the line now.....