Election Predictions

The Green Party did well in Brighton but were squeezed terribly elsewhere.

Dulwich and West Norwood constituency which includes East Dulwich +4% for Lib Dems and we're much more clearly second that the 'notional' second place the Conservatives had repeateldy advertised themselves to be suggesting the Lib Dem were being dishonest to suggest otherwise. That nonsense is hopefully dead now and the corresponding Labour suggestion that only the tories were challenging them locally.

Will Tessa Jowell stay?

She is 62 now. At the next election circa 2014/15 she'll be 66/67 asking to be elected to represent people into her 70's.

Delighted to see BNP in Barking result but even more so the first non sectarian MP in Northern Ireland. That speaks progress there for me.

I would say it would be more popular than a Labour government - by about 1/3, approximately, judging by the results of the election. Why can't Labour supporters just accept that after 13 years in power they are about as popular as athlete's foot?

I can't say I like the idea of nationally being in colaition with the tories. But Labour refused to take a coalition seriously having refused all compromises. A negotiation where Labour didn't negotiate was sadly going nowhere.

The Conservatives have compromised on many issues. I'd sooner have many Lib Dem policies and amended Tory policies than the Tories have won. They came incredibly close to winning.

Mr Barber - thank you so much for posting that info, very helpful of you.

Interested to note that a price floor for carbon has been agreed.

National recharging for electric and hybrids - sounds great in theory but wouldn't this work better with Europe for standardisation to be really effective.

Again thanks, genuinely interested to read this doc.

James Barber Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Attached is a copy of the negotiated agreement

> between the Conservatives and Liberal Democrats.

> It is radical and progressive. Take a look and

> tell me what you think.

I haven't read it all yet but interesting to see five year fixed-term Parliaments in there, is this a first for our constitution? Or did it happen when we had a coalition during the war?

Hi Mr Barber - thanks for explaining that. I think fixed term parliaments are a good idea, looking forward to hearing more about it. Think I need to get up to speed on electoral reform, esp AV, admit I don't know much about it.

I hope the Libcon* coalition does work out, it will be interesting to watch. I am trying to feel positive about it...

All the best,

K

*or should that be Condem....?

James Barber Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I can't say I like the idea of nationally being in

> colaition with the tories.

Echoed.

But we may as well get used to it. Anyhow, I am in favour of the raising of the capital gains tax rate to streamline it with income tax as well as increasing the income tax threshold to ?10,000. I am hoping both these measures will assist in reducing the huge income equality gap between the richest/poorest. Not nearly enough - but it's a start.

I wouldn't get over heated about the margin expat.

It's not unreasonable to expect a majority in a vote of no confidence, so really you're arguing about the difference between 51% and 55%. I don't think requesting a 'significant' majority is unreasonable in a decision as catastrophic as a vote of no confidence.

It's pretty irrelevant anyhow - in the UK the defeat of any pariliamentary bill which spends money results in the resignation of the government, and these only need a majority of one vote.

This is also the reason why a Lab/Lib coalition was unworkable. With a tiny majority of mutliple small parties, it only takes one loony to turn the government on its head.

>It's pretty irrelevant anyhow - in the UK the defeat of any pariliamentary bill which spends money results in the >resignation of the government, and these only need a majority of one vote.

So how is the fixed length parliment going to work?