Has anyone lost a pet parrot? Found in Nunhead...

The photograph in the link to Daily newspaper above has a 'Copyright' credit on the photograph.

They are a large and well respected news agency with an excellent reputation who sell stories and images worldwide.

It's a nice little good news story probably appear on and off for weeks and more worldwide.

If you are the legal owner of the copyright of the image you should contact the legal dept.and 'put them on notice'

of such. If you want them to stop using it you must instruct them to cease and ask for proposals for payment

of damages. If you wish to allow further use then you issue a license with duration, terms and fees agreed

for 'permission to use' the image. As the photographer you should never give away or sell copyright instead you issue a license.

Then at the end of the term it's yours to sell again.

The press and stringers follow up stories on the www, you can often find a totally decent and honest "I'm a reporter for XYZ..." thread on here.

The agency probably bought the article/photo in good faith so beware of who you 'dis' in these pages.

Large corporations have large lawyers.

The press agency you are referring to is probably Mercury Press Agency. I have emailed them and they said that it was not them and the credit reads Mercury Press.

This is the email they send:

Neither the story, nor the picture, originated from our office here in Liverpool. We are "Mercury Press Agency" which is the by-line that normally identifies material that we supply.

There may be some other "Mercury Press" elsewhere in the UK. If you manage to track down the source of the parrot picture published in the Daily Mail, I would be interested to learn the source since it may be someone "passing off" as my company.

"The agency probably bought the article/photo in good faith so beware of who you 'dis' in these pages.

Large corporations have large lawyers."

In which case they would have an appropriate indemnity in the licencing agreement with whoever they purchased the rights from! If the licensor does not have the right to licence the photograph, as is the case if it is the OP's photo and they have not licenced it, then the infringement has still occurred and liabilty rests with each and every person that uses it without the consent of the OP.

supergolden88 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The press agency you are referring to is probably

> Mercury Press Agency. I have emailed them and they

> said that it was not them and the credit reads

> Mercury Press.

>

> This is the email they send:

> Neither the story, nor the picture, originated

> from our office here in Liverpool. We are

> "Mercury Press Agency" which is the by-line that

> normally identifies material that we supply.

>

> There may be some other "Mercury Press" elsewhere

> in the UK. If you manage to track down the source

> of the parrot picture published in the Daily Mail,

> I would be interested to learn the source since it

> may be someone "passing off" as my company.

Email each publication that uses it pointing out their infringement! If a third party is selling rights to your photo I am sure you will track them down fairly easily this way.

I agree Jeremy, perhaps Lindsay from the South London Press should take it up, at least she has the honesty to declare her interest and identity. I made an enquiry and have been told "Mercury Press Agency" is totally innocent and is certainly not the culprit. "Mercury Press" is a different source.

supergolden88 you should invoice every user as ClareC advises, single repro rate wouldn't be much but will soon add up with a nights emailing. I'd bet the established papers would pay as they know the 'identity' of the supplier.