Gulf oil spill

He, heh. Love this quote...

I'm engineer with 25 years of experience. I've worked on some big projects with big machines.

No mention of oil industry experience then. Or geology. He probably built a bridge, once. He also seems to have watched too many Hollywood movies where the only solution is a nuclear warhead (cf Armageddon, The Core, Deep Impact, etc, etc). I believe the cod phrase is "Deus Ex Nukina".

The advantage the movies had here is that the laws of science did not apply. In the real world, sticking a large explosive device in a small hole will generally mean you end up with a large hole.

wjfox Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> This is becoming pretty serious now...

>

> http://blog.al.com/live/2010/04/deepwater_horizon_

> secret_memo.html

>

>

> And I just read this. Dunno how credible the

> source is, but it's rather scary, to say the least

> -

>

> http://bytemuncher.blogspot.com/2010/05/gulf-of-me

> xico-oil-rig-disaster-why-we.html

wjfox - interesting topic and yes of course, oil spills are very serious.

However, that blog that you questioned the credibility of?...IMO its a load of rubbish. I thought that before I read through to the end where he says "We're humped. Unless God steps in and fixes this. No human can. You can be sure of that."

Yeah right, 'God' will step in and fix it and perhaps provide the perfect solution to advanced drilling technology, helping us to better access those tricky high pressure-high temp hydrocarbons too....hmmmm.

The oil industry needs (reservoir, drilling) engineers as much as it needs geologists and geophysicists but I doubt it needs that blogger.

For what it's worth - and I think the answer is 'not very much' - Andrew Gowers, who has been popping up on the news as BP's head of media is the ex Editor of the FT , author of 'The Gowers Report on Intellectual Property' and a local resident.

I did warn you it wasn't worth waiting for!

To put the current oil spill into perspective, during the Gulf War in 1991 a much larger quantity of the same light sweet crude spilled into the Persian Gulf where the temperature of the sea is similar to that in the Gulf of Mexico. Most of that oil dispersed naturally causing minimal long-term environmental damage. See Gulf War oil spill.

According to CNN this morning, by Wednesday BP hopes to have up to 85% of the gusher confined within a spill capture dome presently under construction.

Looks like BP have sealed the smallest of the three leaks. Here is hoping the funnel/dome works.

Not sure but I was told that the platform used only one shear ram and it was manual I.E. It had to be activated by a worker using a switch.

Personally I also feel for the rig workers that died.

The structure is called a 'cofferdam' (made of concrete and steel) - its only a short-term solution to help contain the leak from the well.

Tens of thousands of gallons of crude oil a day has already been lost from the damaged well, not to mention the resulting damage to sealife and loss of livelihood along the coastline.

This incident will likely affect other companies around the globe who are drilling or have plans to drill in ultra deep waters.

expat Wrote:

> First attempt did not work. BP is trying again

> with a smaller structure.

Failed BOP - not good news but understandably difficult manoeuvre to perform. BP must be saying goodbye to their profits!! I tried to load a photo of the main oil leak riser pipe with the remote vehicle in the background but it wouldn't let me do it on here.

SteveT Wrote:

> I somehow get the feeling that if bp aren't

> careful the US government might help themselves to

> it,

> to off-set the amount of pollution cleaning costs

> incurred.

SteveT - there has already been controversy over this incident including [unsubstantiated] claims of sabotage. Not yet sure if BP were initially willing to pay the fishermen who incurred losses as they couldn't provide receipts for loss of earnings.....

The Swiss drilling contractor has already publicly tried to limit liability to the operator for the rig explosion that claimed 11 lives. The operator has closed five production platforms in the GoM, losing many millions of euros.

Canada is concerned about similar deep-water drilling operations in Arctic waters.

I can't see this happening....though they will have to think about future security - and diversity - of their energy supplies. Perhaps they'll go down the Brazilian biofuels route? Although oil is currently cheaper...

The US administration have halted drilling on deep-water exploration rigs which will in turn delay future production. Price of oil will then rise and they will need to rely on imports.

The whole incident has seriously escalated now they have a better idea of the figures and the government has come in for some harsh criticism also.

I had to edit to be clear its only on deep-water wells.