Moving to ED (what is cool and what is not. )

Prova

Hello East Dulwich people.

I am about to move to ED. It should happen very soon indeed and I wanted to check what your views about the area are: what is cool and what is not.

From what I have seen ED is a lovely neighbourhood, much more chilled than most of the rest of London. Lots of little nice shops and a big love affair with food, organic products and coffee shops. Definitely a place for young hip families. Very vibrant village life and lots of green spaces. Lovely! On the other side I seem to understand that transport is a pain, aeroplane noise can be annoying (can't be worst than Fulham though) and crime seems on the rise (at least judging the recent posts). Oh by the way, it also seems that there are no proper gyms.

Is my analysis correct? Would you encourage me to make the big move and join the vibe of Lordship lane?

Any advise or suggestion is welcome!

enjoy the week-end

Transport is only a pain if you don't think trains and buses are adequate - which they both are - 10 mins into London Bridge gets you on the tube if it's a big issue - bus takes you directly to Oxford Street / Waterloo etc

I don't notice the planes at all - so unless you come from the country I'm not sure it's a huge issue

what's a proper gym? You can join the private school sports centres - Dulwich College and Jags are both different but very well equipped and have pools - or there's ESPH (which seems really expensive and I don't quite get it) - plus East Dulwich Leisure Centre is really well-equipped, if only they'd open the currently being refurbished school again.

I think the whole organic food vibe and coffee bars is the negative side - went a little chi-chi there for a while but it seems to be pulling back again

So my negatives / positives are flipped to yours

can't advise on whether you should move really - know nothing about you or your likes / dislikes

Erm, can you not move here and go somewhere else? Young hip families...Christ on a bike there's enough of you scum polluting the airwaves of ED with your gawking trash talk. Your post has just made me physically sick.

If only there was an ED specific virus that would kill off all the morons that moved here post 1980 in one fell swoop...Any mad scientists who could concoct such a wonderful creation would have my eternal thanks...

Nice troll otherwise ;/

Prova...

Now at this point I'd want to rip into you for using the cool/hip/vibe "vibe"

But, I see you currently live in Fulham, so I wont ( for now ) it's not fair or nice

Yes, move to ED & it may well be all those things you think it is. I know Fulham fairly well as I used to work & "hang out" there but now, all the tea in China wouldn't drag me back

If you have the chance to get out, do it now

There's a lot of "social texture" here so take your time & find your feet

Good luck

W**F

There's a White Stuff and Oliver Bonas on Lordship Lane.

+ 10 cool points.

2 butchers shops and 1 butcher van (at weekends).

+ 10 cool points.

A hi-fi store that sells cars.

+ 100 cool points.

Child-snatching clowns (not officially seen since 2009)

- 1000 cool points

A delicatessen that employs exceptionally surly staff

+ 500 cool points

Buses to West End, City and Victoria

+ 500 cool points

Kebab and Wine

Close to Peckham

- 120 cool points

Conclusion:

East Dulwich is neutral, it is not cool nor is it uncool. It just 'is'.

red devil Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> After officially moving in, the first words I

> heard uttered in ED were ''Tarquin, hurry up and

> finish off your croissant!''*...does that answer

> your question?

>

> * Blue Mountain Cafe 2006

I saw a child having a massive tantrum in the middle of the street, scream at his mother '...but I want a babyccino'.

Vick!

How dare you expose my friend's child to ridicule in this manner. Shame on you. Little Uriah was having a bad day, he had to wait an age to see the cranial osteopath this morning and he lost one of his favorite badges from his Croc when he fell off his Micro-Scooter...

V. good range of pubs & bars.

Good transport.

Dead pretty, even on a grim grey day.

No cinema - boo. But the multiplex in Peckham is a walk away, and cheap as chips.

The shops/boutiques are a bit bland - it's all Terribly Nice (Oliver Bonas et al). Be nice to see a couple more unusual/cutting edge places open up - or even just some more adventurous stalls in the indoor market.

Prova Wrote:

> Is my analysis correct? Would you encourage me to

> make the big move and join the vibe of Lordship

> lane?

> Any advise or suggestion is welcome!

> enjoy the week-end

Be warned - there are no shops on LL dedicated to selling the full range of OPI nail colours. Tsk tsk.

On the plus side, if you buy coconuts in SMBS, they even break them open for you....how wonderful is that for service? (tu)

(Not saying these two points are in any way related, its difficult to paint your nails with coconut milk...)

"A delicatessen that employs exceptionally surly staff

+ 500 cool points "

This made me laugh. Reminded me that the staff in ED Deli pointedly hold onto the bag with your goodies in it until you have handed over your money (presumably because the price of the stuff in the bag makes it comparable to precious metals and you are therefore more likely to run off without paying). Superb! Great shop otherwise :-)

Mick Mac Wrote:

> I am cool - Quids is not. In a nutshell, there you

> have it.

I ....

Definitely second that..

Just remind me though "What was the question ..."

I am VERY not cool, no

Many other things, but not COOL

W**F

*imagines gordon brown & john prescott in single bed, together*