Aircraft noise

PandG

We have just moved into SE22 and enjoyed a blissful few days when the planes weren't flying - now we have Heathrow inbound running flights down over our road, Heathrow outbound over the next road up the hill and very low City airport planes flying in over the hosue in the gaps when Heathrow planes are queing further out ! Is it us, is there a problem or not in East Dulwich with plane noise?

P and G

I would have never thought ED had this problem. I now live in Fulham and I am about to move in ED. I was looking forward to this move also to be further away from Heathrow. In Fulham it is quite bad, there is a plane landing every minute.

Last time I was in ED (last Sunday) I remember hearing birds twittering! :)

To be fair, although there is a bit of a problem with planes in ED, it isn't ALL the time. We got the same shock when we moved in 2 years ago (must have viewed on days when wind was blowing from the East - no Heathrow planes when that happens). The City planes aren't a constant problem, just an occasional one. But there are days when it is positively awful.... you sit in the garden with a Heathrow bound plane going overhead every 90 seconds. However, there are also days when the planes go over further north and it isn't nearly as bad. And East wind days when there are no Heathrow planes overhead! Woo hoo!

I would have thought that ED would be a blessed relief from living in Fulham (where the flight paths are much more concentrated).

One thing that made me feel a lot better about the whole situation was looking at the Heathrow website. There is a web tracker that shows how many planes fly over the whole of S London and not just ED. So we figured that wherever we lived in S London, Heathrow arrivals would be a problem (with one or two exceptions like Balham where we used to live and never got planes overhead). Made us feel a bit better and a bit less irritated about the whole thing.

See http://www.heathrowairport.com/portal/site/heathrow/menuitem.f03e69d4cefdf3c524ba4a109328c1a0 for details.

Look towards Nunhead direction (if you happen is be awake) at about 5.45 am. You can see them lining up to fly in. Saw 4 once. I only notice the noise now its warm enough to leave the windows open during the night.

Horsebox Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Jeremy Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > It's no worse than other parts of London.

>

>

>

> And better than many others...Hounslow and Newham

> for example.

Indeed.

The OP asked "is there a problem or not in East Dulwich with plane noise?" Only if you have a problem with it...

ruffers Wrote:

> Horsebox Wrote:

> -----

> > Jeremy Wrote:

> >

>

> > -----

> > > It's no worse than other parts of London.

> >

> >

> >

> > And better than many others...Hounslow and

> Newham

> > for example.

>

> Indeed.

>

> The OP asked "is there a problem or not in East

> Dulwich with plane noise?" Only if you have a

> problem with it...

Case closed? I think so.

PandG Wrote:

> We have just moved into SE22 and enjoyed a

> blissful few days when the planes weren't flying -

> now we have Heathrow inbound running flights down

> over our road, Heathrow outbound over the next

> road up the hill and very low City airport planes

> flying in over the hosue in the gaps when Heathrow

> planes are queing further out ! Is it us, is there

> a problem or not in East Dulwich with plane

> noise?

>

> P and G

How exactly did this manage to come as a surprise to you? I am sorry but I am gobsmacked by the OP!!!

PandG

HI and welcome to the area! I have to say some of the comments I have seen posted in response to your ligit question are rude and I am quite shocked! I would like to think that when someone moves into a new area they are welcomed with open arms and not childish comments!

You have a very good point - When I moved into the area I too was shocked at the level of noise from the aeroplanes. When ever we were shown around the house that we were to buy there were no planes flying overhead... No one mentioned it. We saw the house 6 or 7 times before we moved in and got quite a shock when one morning a 5.30am planes started flying over the house.

We have been here 6 years and you do get used to it, it is not all the time and if it bothers you so much do what we did and put in acoustic glass which helps a bit in the morning.

Cheers

Dan

danielgriffiths Wrote:

> PandG

>

> HI and welcome to the area! I have to say some of

> the comments I have seen posted in response to

> your ligit question are rude and I am quite

> shocked!

Eh???!!

I've never really noticed it until recently (since the planes restarted after the ash cloud carry on).

It does seem a little nosier in last week or two, but overall does not seem any nosier than any other area in London I've lived in.

danielgriffiths making a sound play for the 'absolute nonsense' award there...

"When ever we were shown around the house that we were to buy there were no planes flying overhead... No one mentioned it. We saw the house 6 or 7 times before we moved in and got quite a shock"

The planes go every 2 minutes, and the estate agents don't have the schedule. If you didn't hear it, it was because you didn't notice it. Nobody stitched you up.

I have quite bad tinnitus. People ask me how I cope, and I point out that because I don't get angry with it, or obsessed by it, my brain edits it out. The result is that rather than hearing a high pitched squeal, I'm simply 'mentally' deaf at those frequencies. Same thing used to happen with planes.

In Worcester it was Starlings, in Bali it's Cicadas. Here in Singapore I've got this moronic hooting bird.

There is no way that ED is worse than Fulham. It's the same planes and they're lower by the time they reach Fulham.

Sometimes planes can wake you early in the morning, especially when it's cold and there's a high pressure zone overhead. If you have even reasonable windows it's not enough to kill you, or even to raise your blood pressure.

If you have a problem with planes in ED you're probably better off seeing a psychologist about anger management.

I also suffer from tinnitus. I would suggest that tinnitus is relatively easy to cope with, or mine is at least, as the pitch and volume are always exactly the same, it's just a constant; and you can blank out a constant. But of course everyone's tinnitus is different.

With the planes, what you hear does seem to depend on a lot on different factors. Obviously prevailing wind (which determines whether they are there in the first place!); but for example also aspect. My bedroom and office are north facing and the noise there is much louder. The south side does get the City Airport planes but they tend to be smaller and quieter. I could move my bedroom to the front of the house (facing hill and south) but that would be extremely expensive (moving kitchen, boiler, gas etc.) and would mean I'd have a ground floor bedroom on the public highway, and I don't think I'd be comfortable with that.

Atmospheric conditions is obviously another factor. And what the plane is doing yet another. A plane that is turning, banking, however gently, seems to generate a lot more noise than one travelling in a straight line. Or maybe this is just affects *where* the noise is heard.

And if you've got pneumatic drills going outside, or live next to a school or on a very busy road, then obviously you're not going to notice planes.

In recent times I've been involved in house hunting in the SE for someone looking to buy a country estate. For every property the flight paths were examined, and a mental note taken of actual noise experienced on the ground. If you are standing in open countryside with hundreds of acres of woods and fields around you (no roads, no neighbours) and you have to raise your voice to 'loud' ever few moments as the planes go over, then it's certainly going to be a problem achieving the peaceful life. There are a surprisingly large number of places affected. Some properties were turned down mainly for this reason.