Beginners flute

damzel

My 8yo is keen to learn the flute. Does anyone have a not too expensive one that is in good working order that they would like to sell? We'll prob buy a new one for next term if she gets on okay so don't want to spend too much. Thx

I bought one on the forum a while back. It needs a couple of keys seeing to but Top Wind at Waterloo are very reasonably priced for repairs. You're welcome to have it for ?50, given that it needs attention. I know you were after one in working order, but this is a cheap alternative that would do for the first few years of playing & you could then replace it with a better one if your child continues playing.

I've only just seen these replies - thanks very much! However, I'd prefer a working one and cheaper too. I think perhaps I am asking a lot - I've started to realise just how expensive flutes can be.

If only the school gave recorder lessons, that might suffice for the short term!

Damzel, they do get recorder lessons, in year 5 I think? I wish I could offer you lend you one of my flutes, but they are not suitable for a beginner sadly.

I'll speak to you when I see you next with some other options x

Unfortunately decent instruments do cost an arm and a leg. There are music shops that sell second-hand flutes but they're not cheap and in my experience, the ones that are, aren't worth having.

My second flute-playing child had a mediocre flute for the first year or so and it was so hard to get a good sound out of it that I thought the poor blighter was talentless until they day he tried his brother's (much better) flute.

Archived