The Castle - Jenny the manager forced out

Hello, I'm from sydenham. I occasionally go to Foxes. I don't think it's a drug riddled pub.

..no more so than the Castle (as commented upon). Foxes is a bit of a low key locals pub...with just locals. But not enough of them. Maybe jenny could've sparked some life into it.

Perhaps I'm a tad jaded from living here for 15 years...but I'm quite bored of most of the TV set style pubs round here now and even get on a bus/uber to drink in Penge or FH.

The Castle only really for sports but nice and low key for that and always friendly...

That's a terrible way to treat someone.

However in terms solely of the bar take, we looked at putting on gigs there a few years back, and were told there were enough customers on Friday nights and she didn't want any more!!!

And at that time they were looking at having meals in the room upstairs, or so we were told.g

I really like The Castle, it's got a great juke box and good Guinness (I think it's Guinness and not Murphys), but whenever we've been there on a Saturday night it hasn't exactly been heaving.

Even with the incentive of a game of Play Your Cards Right :)

It feels like something from another time. There have been occasions when I've been the only woman in the pub (apart from the bar staff).

I don't know how they could do it, but I actually think they could build on that vibe somehow to attract more people, but the trouble is as soon as a different "type" of person starts going there then inevitably the whole atmosphere will change.

If they do gentrify it, I just really hope it retains some of its present character. I agree The White Horse has managed to somehow have the best of both worlds, with a sensitive makeover.

I wish Jenny all the best wherever she goes. And the rest of the staff - I can't believe they could just sack everybody like that, surely they must be breaking employment law?

We think it's disgusting the way Jenny has been treated after all these years she has worked in the pub, the owners Julia and Ken well that don't surprise me with them 2 I've known them many years ago treat there staff so bad, and they've done it again,,they should be ashamed of themselves. Jenny has worked so hard in that pub for many years, and if anyone is a regular like us both, you would see how lovely she is,,and so helpful to the drinkers, she looks after her drinkers, makes sure they get home safety, she is so friendly and funny... We are so gutted to loose her, I just don't understand why they didn't put the others else where instead. It's never going to be the same again....

Who's to say that the pub will change for the worse everyone seems to be summising about everything-are all these things quoted FACTS or just here say...sometimes a change is as good as a rest and people are changed around in all different jobs for whatever reason.we should give the new person a chance you never know you may like what they do to the place.

I think the main point being made is that existing staff have been compromised, perhaps unfairly.

Who knows what the pub will become.

It's clear the pub could accommodate many more customers.

It's got the space, location and potential to become a viable profit-making enterprise.

So glad I seen this forum and got a chance to make my opinion heard, I have drank in the castle and other pubs in se London including Two of which Mary the 65 year old used to run, and if all the 150 so called people who signed the petition did there homework about the new manager they would realise she is a much loved caring family woman who goes above and beyond for her customers and has turned around pubs she's managed so although I'm sure Jenny was good as castles landlady, don't believe everything you get told..., I for one will be in the castle a lot more now Mary will be running it, and wish her and Jenny the best of luck

I would like to say that since Jenny took over the pub she turned it around so much that where as the police were always there it was very rare to see them, Putting a 65 year old in as manager is beyond belief, the old crowd of rif raffs will soon be back and then us residents who live so close to the pub will start involving the police again, Jenny was one of the best managers and made sure us residents was not disturbed by loud and nuisance drinkers, Jenny i know you will do well where ever you go lets hope all your regulars boycott the pub now.

beejay Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I would like to say that since Jenny took over the

> pub she turned it around so much that where as the

> police were always there it was very rare to see

> them, Putting a 65 year old in as manager is

> beyond belief, the old crowd of rif raffs will

> soon be back and then us residents who live so

> close to the pub will start involving the police

> again, Jenny was one of the best managers and

> made sure us residents was not disturbed by loud

> and nuisance drinkers, Jenny i know you will do

> well where ever you go lets hope all your regulars

> boycott the pub now.

>

What on earth has age got to do with it?

65 isn't old.

Hope I never run into you in The Castle.

It's ability which is important, not age. Or do you think people wake up on their 65th (or 30th,40th or 50th) birthdays suddenly incapable of doing a particular job?

FFS.

Certainly some 65 year olds couldn't run a pub. Nor could some 40 year olds. I sincerely hope you've never been involved in recruiting people, if you ignore all their skills and successes and chuck their application in the bin on the basis of the year they were born.

ETA: And as for boycotting the pub - yes, a quick way to make sure it closes down, isn't it? Cutting off your nose to spite your face springs to mind.

I completely agree with you Sue and I am disgusted by the discrimination and judgement that beejay and any other haters portray. Would you call your own mother an old crow at 65? Thought not, so don't be so insulting!

I know the lady who is about to take over The Castle and with her 30 years of experience, I do not doubt that she will be successful. I would also like to point out that she IS NOT 65 years old and every single pub that she has saved from closure has been achieved by hard work, determination, working closely with the local community and licencing and police authorities.

Did it not cross anyone's mind that this may just be a last chance to save this much loved pub? with the current stats proving that 29 pubs are closing each week (November 2015 stats) I think it's only fair that you look beyond the gossip, spite, rumours and hurtful comments and support your local pub where ever it may be. After all, the last thing any of us South Londoners want is another 'yuppie pub/bar' or even worst another block of flats!

I have met Jenny and wish her luck in her new ventures.

Jenny has left the building, as have all the staff, by choice. It's been informative to see the variety of views of the pub, Jenny, ageism (sic) and the general state of play of pubs in general and locally in particular. My family and friends have used this pub for nigh on 40 years, pre-dating Jenny for sometime. I used to have a successful gastropub in W London and still have a licence... I've also been on the receiving end of pubcos outlook.

My biggest issue is what can this obviously experienced new landlady bring to the site that is not already there. The owners don't do gastro and the alternate offer to Jenny was amongst the lowest turnover pubs in the group of @ 40. If this lady is so talented then why is she not directed to a site that is ailing, i.e. Foxes ? Nothing to do with being near her property in Herne Hill? If they want to run it down to ease a sale then they will run the gauntlet of ACV.

The underhand methods that have been used are despicable and ruined Jenny and her family's life. A weeks notice..?

I won't give my money to such a company

I thank her for the service and friendship over the years and wish her clan all the best for the future.

The loss of Jenny has already impacted on the 'locals'. Jenny's enthusiasm, quest to please attitude, was abundantly clear. Bar staff knew their trade, enjoyed the work and the customers. I have witnessed her family grow up and the pub evolve during her stewardship.

The Castle, now managed, with indifferent staff, together with the 'scallywags', barred from Jenny's era, back in, bodes a very worrying future.

Regrettably Jenny's contribution to the Castle vibe was paramount, but not given enough recognition.

I, and many others, miss her, and feel guilty for using the Castle, but it's still our local.

We've already noticed the difference. We have had 3 years of no problems and suddenly it's noisy at night and waking us up. The clientelle has cleary changed although perhaps that's just because the Euros has started. Here is hoping it settles down. Although after less than a week...we're missing the old guard.

I've nothing at all against the new manager, I don't know them so why would I.

But giving someone a week to leave their job and their home for no good reason is just nasty, so I do have something agaionst the owners.

I'm not sure we have the full picture of what happened and what led up to this.

I really can't believe there can have been no warning of any kind.

If there wasn't, surely Jenny could take them to a tribunal?

Though I suppose if they offered her an alternative job they had fulfilled their obligations:(