best caff in se22

I think you mean the Dulwich Cafe, Louisa. Not been in there for a while but it seems to have had a refurb. The other good place to go is The Lane Cafe which is opposite the Thomas Moore building. My favourite has got to be The Bishop pub - great fry-up, pint of Abbot Ale and a really friendly atmosphere.

This is a subject close to my heart, and I've been trying various caffs over the last few years. Of the ones actually on LL in the centre of ED I reckon the best one is The Lane, next door to Property In. Near the station there is one at the top of Melbourne Grove opposite the post office which is pretty good. My favourites are the Upland as already mentioned and the Blue Brick on Fellbrigg Road - the Blue Brick probably just shades it on food quality. I've also heard that the Plough is top notch but for some reason not been there yet - to be remedied, hopefully soon.

Word on the street has it that Jack's is very good - it's just up the road with the Magdala on the corner - can't remember the name of the road. I don't think it's the greasey spoon variety however. I've not been, but my girlfriend swears by it, which is why I'm guessing they serve organic, homemade cous-cous served on a bed of hand-reared 12 year old finest lettuce leaves. Probably more of a Blue Mountain job than a Lane. The more grease the better if you ask me! On a non-Dulwich note, apparently Ikea serve a fry up for 95p!!

Drive to Croydon with a hangover before 10am?!?!?!?! What kind of cruel and unusual punishment is that!?

Anyway counting the travel cost, associated carbon footprint and the ?100 you will end up spending on superfluous, quirky cutlery and a flat-packed side board it all sounds like a very, very bad idea.

Just stumbling down LL armed with a pair of sunglasses and a fiver is altogether a better option.

Louisa Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I think the best fry up is the place next to what

> used to be the Lord Palmerston Pub (some sort of

> gastro dive now).

Dulwich Caff - seconded. Decent black pud, not always easy to come by!

Keef Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Now I'm no vegetarian, but black pudding, come on,

> it's blood and fat!

But once you get over that, it's one of the best, richest breakfast foods in existence!

Anyway, fry up components include a pigs back, a chicken embryo, a common fungus, and whatever combination of brains, bums, hooves and b*ll*cks that they put into sausages - surely a bit academic to quibble over the blood that previously ran thru the beast and the fat that kept it cozy?!? :))

Blood and fat are the 2 most nutritious parts of an animal appart from possibly egg yolk but that's not really part of an animal, just something that comes out of a chickens bum.

Whenever I visit up-north my mum-in-law makes sure I get a daily dose of black pud.