Crystal Palace Tavern

Is that like the tree in the forest question? Philosophical mood today huh keef?

The CPT did try to go a bit wineponcey* in the past, what went wrong?

*wineponce is a noun meaning one who detects nord bones in his wine, I cast no aspersions as to class, race or other factor of the pub and/or it's owners, staff and clientele.

• 1 month later...

As Piers says, there was an interested party who was looking at putting a kitchen in. However, I very much doubt that it would be knocked through, as it's actually listed (the bar, or the glass bit between the bars, not quite sure), so don't think they could just smash their way through.

I hope that doesn't happen, a bit of food would be okay, but I love the place because it's still a pub, and I hope any changes made don't make it lose that.

If I'm not mistaken that's the original back bar in the centre?

It would be a pity to lose it, and I'd definitely mourn the CPT's passing. But if it's not making money I guess something has to be done; I'd rather it was still a watering hole than end up anodyne flats like those that have sprung up (verra verra slooowly) over the road.

One of the reasons why I like the CPT is its design. Pubs used to be designed, back in my day (Which may have been last week Saturday or perhaps September the 23rd 2001), to bring people together. The concept was a room centred around a communal bar where people can sit. It promotes a certain interaction between the punters.

Most newly refurbished pubs seem to be a series of separate little areas where groups of friends can sit without having to do anything as nasty as interact with ?other people?. It is symptomatic of our increasingly isolated and suspicious society, the type of society where people don?t know their neighbours.

Take the Plough for instance. It is a nice place and very comfortable but you wouldn?t end up having a conversation with a stranger in there would you? It is not exactly a ?local?.

Before this goes off on one. I am not trying to suggest that a pub changing ownership is another of the dark portents and omens of the end of our times. An end brought about by corporate greed and the exploitation of the working classes and leading to a state of Orwellain oppression followed by cataclysmic war and destruction.

Well maybe I am. A bit, but not really.

Why don?t we all chip in and buy the place? A quick audit of the inventory of my pockets reveals ?14 and 23p a mobile phone I?m sure I could get a tenner for and a credit card of questionable usefulness.

I think there is precendent for locals owning their own pub but can't remember where I read about it. I'll have a butcher's and see if I can find out. That would be awesome. We all put in money and receive a small share of the profits with a say in how the place is run - which beers, wines, snacks etc or whether to invest in a new pair of curtains!

I'm in. Does ?5 get me a share?