Crystal Palace Tavern

I went on a Monday night when a quiz was on and I must say the staff were...er...lethargic. And a little surly. But everyone has their off days and until I've been a couple more times I'm reluctant to cast a judgement in stone.

Also they have a pool competition on Tuesdays, I think, which I'm well up for!

Inside 72 is a bit of a gem - the Drum a pleasant oddity, a bar that moonlights as a cafe: i went in there once for a coffe and croissant - they made the coffee, the waitress put on her jacker, skipped out the door and came back ten mins later with a plastic carrier from Somerfield. then I got my croissant. laid back.

I'd concur with the general view regarding CPT being a damn fine place.

citizen

The big question for me is which side of the CPT? It's like two different pubs stuck together. The "modern" side looks better but I kind of have a soft spot for the chintzy side... do they still have masking tape on the seats?

The CPT has always appealed to me as a place to go. Alas, I have no pals on 'that side' of ED, so we always end-up elsewhere.

Lots of people seem to like it (or the look of it) but it always seems a bit empty. It is just laziness cos it's off the main drag?

Pretty much Bob. Although most of it's current regulars are 20-30 somethings (although regulars range from 20 - 80+), it's never going to be trendy! I for one am pleased about that, but you're never going to pick up chicks in there, so Fear n' Boozin (stud that he is) likes to venture out ;-)

Do the lads from the Post Office still share out the day's "takings" at the end of the shift up at the bar? Or has the internet killed off the brown paper parcel trade and its attendant perks for inquisitive post office staff?

Good stuff. I was in again last night with some out-of-town friends (they're from East London [spit]) and they both loved it. I think I prefer the snug end rather than the modern bit. Darndest thing though....they had the radiators on. I know July in England isn't always balmy but that's taking it a bit far!

I'll have to look out for you Keef....are you permanently armed with a pint and a laptop?

Yeah why do they always have the radiators on in the lounge bar?

I've actually not been in for a few weeks. I used to pop in during the week so I could have a smoke and a guiness. Guess I'm just going to have to get used to only guinness from now on. :(

david_carnell Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I'll have to look out for you Keef....are you

> permanently armed with a pint and a laptop?

Not a lap top, I have web&walk on my phone! >:D<

I was in there last night as it goes til about half 9 (I think... was only meant to be a swift pint after work!!!).

Was in the "new side" at the bar with Fear n' Boozin... Well between the bar and nipping outside for ciggies.