Peckham Rye Station (being revamped?)

Don't know if anyone has mentioned it, however the work currently being done on the station is to re-open the windows to the old billiard room that sits on the top floor of the station.

According to the council, it will be the first stage in renovating the billiard room into a more usable space and hopefully the windows project will attract private investment to open the space up fully.

Peckham Rye station is a lovely old station that needs a lot of care and attention to make it as grand as it was when first built, and hopefully the council having made a good start this time and will be able to maintain the pace over the next few years (they are also managing to keep the forecourt a bit cleaner but alas as Peckham Rye station is a high risk station from terrorist and other attacks we can't have bins anywhere in the station as a result)

for more information on Peckham town centre, including a live departure board for the station, visit www.ptcmg.co.uk

LuvPeckham Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> but alas as Peckham Rye station is a high risk station from terrorist and

> other attacks we can't have bins anywhere in the station as a result.

How would you tell if a bomb had gone off...

How about a coffee shop or a newsagents? I know there is more than enough room up there for one. I would disagree about the council making an effort to clean the forecourt up though LuvPeckham. I think I have contacted local pressure groups as well as the council and two MP's locally to try and figure out why these problems cannot be solved in Peckham, and all I seem to get back is sweet f.a.

This is what has made me so angry lately, Peckham had been going down hill for years, and then ED gets taken over by the organic boutique brigade. I now have nowhere to shop (but I can catch a train if I choose to walk the extra few miles to Denmark Hill station because i'm too scared to use Peckham Rye and sometimes ED after dark).

Louisa Wrote:

> lol LTP :)

Ithankyew...

But on your other points.

There was, when I was using it regularly back in 2005 there was a lady selling coffee, but unlie Sam, swho is in Denmark hill, she was all a bit miserable. Still the coffee was nice. I personally think the downside to that place is the ferral children hanging around, and of course the crime in the area. (Where my Moutain Bike was nicked from about 6 weeks ago.)

Curious though you say you can;t shop....what sort of shopping do you want? I woudl have thought that between LL and Peckham Rye you'd be able to get most things?

E

Clothing is the biggest issue. If there were an M&S or NEXT or some other high street store locally then this would not be so much of an issue. There also isnt a Department Store which I have always loved about shopping. It just lacks that traditional edge.

Hi Louisa (and all)

The council now has the cleaning contract for the area in front of the station and are making a better job of it then the previous cleaning company (at a lower price from what I understand)

In terms of price, the forecourt area is owned by Spacia and as such the council wasn't obliged to clean it but as they have cleaning crews already operating in the area they put a bid in for the work and won it.

The idea of a coffees shop / newsagents is a good one, and Network Rail / Spacia are looking into redeveloping unit 11a (to the old junk shop to the right of the station as you enter it) for commercial letting. The PTCMG have been in discussion with Network rail to ensure that it is used for the good of the commuters coming through the station and have asked if it could be used for a coffee shop in the future.

I guess, if there is someone out here who has the money to invest in a coffee shop / newsagents at this location then contact either the PTCMG or Spacia and Rail Track directly and make enquiries about it's availability.

As for the station, I think that Network Rail are putting money into the station at the moment, even looking at stopping the rain impregnation of the stairwells and making the flooring non slip... as always changes will take time but hopefully will start to make a difference in the near future.

I guess with 15,000 peak hour commuters through the station every day, surely it makes sense to have facilities that they want there.

LuvPeckham Wrote:

> but alas as Peckham Rye

> station is a high risk station from terrorist and

> other attacks we can't have bins anywhere in the

> station as a result.

Peckham Rye station high risk? With suicide bombers the presence or lack of rubbish bins is unlikely to be a deciding factor in target selection.

I disagree that lack of bins at Peckham Rye station is because it's a high risk terrorist target - as far as my experience goes every rail station has got rid of rubbish bins to the resultant detriment of quality of life everywhere. Buying a paper, sandwich, drink and then not having anywhere to dispose of the arising rubbish just encourages people to litter. That people want to be tidy is often evidenced by the neat pile of litter - but then the wind blows.

To avoid a theoretical and in my view, unavoidable, terrorist risk - a risk which must be measurable in fractions of 1% we have made 100% of rail users life difficult. Of course with no rubbish bins there's no need to employ someone to empty them, just sweep up the litter once a week or so - so it's less costly for Southern Rail.

On a final positive note - I've only used Peckham Rye once - but having made it through the tunnel to the entrance was enchanted by the design and history to be seen. Anything that can be done to restore even just some of its glory would be great, and would, I am sure, be a boost to Peckham itself.

• 4 weeks later...

I think the woman at the PR coffee shop is rude! she finds it impossible to smile or be friendly to anyone - least of all other women!

when you buy a hot drink from her the expectation is that you should fry your fingers on the way to work as she refuses to double cup, give you a napkin or have one of those cardboard holders...

I have tried to be nice as I can't imagine i would be too happy at the prospect of waking up every morning to work in Peckham Rye Station - possibly the most disgusting and depressing station in SE London but still!

something has got to be done about the station... decor, staff, lighting, general rubbish and safety...

would also be handy if trains ran on a more regular basis to Victoria...

• 2 months later...

THAT IS A NICE PHOTO.....i agree ...but we already have a square in peckham its next to the willalsop library its called PECKHAM SQUARE . FARMERS MARKET MUSIC and events etc i remember when peckham had a sainsburys with mahogany fittings a polish delicatessen in the alley by the station a marks and spncers with food hall ! a c and a , a british homes stores great for lighting . a cinema where the dole office is now .an alternative book store . a cafe with a gaggia and formica called the como

jones and higgins department store i cried when they demolished that . we used to have an open air pool/lido on the rye

basically these planners should be shot and a canal which was near whittens . all the timber used to be floated in TRUE filled in in the 70's imagine it now

would be fantastic backdrop to the library and a true centtre of peckham

{i agree about the hair }from all those hair etension places .OH AND I TRAVEL FREQUENTLY TO PECKHAM RYE STATION IT IS SAFE AS FAR as im concerned , whereas i find east dulwich station scary and lonely but its all a matter of what you get used to