East dulwich (compared to village and west dulwich)

Hi

I was seeing what East dulwich is like compared to dulwich village and west dulwich as communites and as towns.

also what are the sporting chances there like such as golf and cricket. any golf courses or cricket clubs

thanks for your responses

Where are you?

The distances between East Dulwich, Dulwich Village and West Dulwich are so short (at most 2 miles) as to mean that any sporting facilities are probably jointing used by the residents. The are both a golf course and at least one cricket club and in the area.

Hi William

The Dulwich and Sydenham Golf course is on the outskirts of Dulwich. It touches Dulwich Village on its north side, West Dulwich on its south side and Lordship Lane/East Dulwich on its north-east corner. I'm pretty sure there's a cricket club next to the golf course. There's another thread on this - search under 'golf'.

In terms of the communities in each area, each area has a good feel. Dulwich Village is the most picturesque, but expensive. Might not be too expensive if you are renting though.

East Dulwich has good facilities and a great atmosphere - its where people in their 20s/30s/40s like to be - good shops (supermarkets, butchers, greengrocers, and shops to buy most other things too), restaurants and bars. West Dulwich also has a small parade of nice shops on Park Hall Road.

In terms of public transport, North and East Dulwich stations go into London Bridge so its very good if you are based in the City for work. West Dulwich goes into Victoria, good for the West End. Bus services are best in East Dulwich, with a number of frequent buses running up and down Lordship Lane.

Green spaces - Dulwich Park - pretty much easy access to one of its gates from all areas of Dulwich. Also Peckham Rye Park and Common on the East Dulwich side.

I think you'd be happy in any part of Dulwich! Let us know if you have any more questions. :))

West Dulwich is very green and picturesque. There is a super bus service into central London (the number 3) and you can easily pick up the tube from Brixton which is a 10 minute bus ride away (God help us all). The train from West Dulwich goes into Victoria (one tube stop to Sloane Square - the only central London place to shop) and also Blackfriars - which is the city and business district. West Dulwich has a lovely cafe culture with several of super restaurants and bars, but it is much more "refined" and "sedate" than East Dulwich. It is easy to get to East Dulwich from here.

Dulwich is a super place to live, please be sure to come and see us.

Ko Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hi William

>

> The Dulwich and Sydenham Golf course is on the

> outskirts of Dulwich. It touches Dulwich Village

> on its north side, West Dulwich on its south side

> and Lordship Lane/East Dulwich on its north-east

> corner. I'm pretty sure there's a cricket club

> next to the golf course. There's another thread

> on this - search under 'golf'.

>

> In terms of the communities in each area, each

> area has a good feel. Dulwich Village is the most

> picturesque, but expensive. Might not be too

> expensive if you are renting though.

>

> East Dulwich has good facilities and a great

> atmosphere - its where people in their 20s/30s/40s

> like to be - good shops (supermarkets, butchers,

> greengrocers, and shops to buy most other things

> too), restaurants and bars. West Dulwich also has

> a small parade of nice shops on Park Hall Road.

>

> In terms of public transport, North and East

> Dulwich stations go into London Bridge so its very

> good if you are based in the City for work. West

> Dulwich goes into Victoria, good for the West End.

> Bus services are best in East Dulwich, with a

> number of frequent buses running up and down

> Lordship Lane.

>

> Green spaces - Dulwich Park - pretty much easy

> access to one of its gates from all areas of

> Dulwich. Also Peckham Rye Park and Common on the

> East Dulwich side.

>

> I think you'd be happy in any part of Dulwich!

> Let us know if you have any more questions. :))

Good to see you youngsters allow some of us over 40's to use your shops restaurants and bars!

Nah, they're too old... ;-)

I did source some data here, that shows ED to be more 20s/30s than the general population, although a leedle more old folk than Southwark in general.

From what I gather most folks in West Dulwich didn't fill in the census because it was 'below' them.....

:)

macroban Wrote:

> If West Dulwich is SE21 West of the railway line

> it's the sort of place you drive through and don't

> bother to stop.

No offence intended! I just meant that its seems most incomers are in the younger bracket (all my new neighbours over the last few years seem young), although there are all ages in terms of people who have lived in ED all their lives.

Before a lot of people would automatically look at the village as the best place to live, but now the facilities in ED are very good and ED is attracting people who want everything on their doorstep.

ED wouldn't be as good if we didn't have older people as well! Now I'll say something really contentious - ED also wouldn't be the same without all the babies in their bugaboos (is that what that pram is called?)! :))

Ko Wrote:

> macroban Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > If West Dulwich is SE21 West of the railway

> line

> > it's the sort of place you drive through and

> don't

> > bother to stop.

>

> No offence intended! I just meant that its seems

> most incomers are in the younger bracket (all my

> new neighbours over the last few years seem

> young), although there are all ages in terms of

> people who have lived in ED all their lives.

>

> Before a lot of people would automatically look at

> the village as the best place to live, but now the

> facilities in ED are very good and ED is

> attracting people who want everything on their

> doorstep.

>

> ED wouldn't be as good if we didn't have older

> people as well! Now I'll say something really

> contentious - ED also wouldn't be the same without

> all the babies in their bugaboos (is that what

> that pram is called?)! :))

We're incomers. two 50+'s, two teenage sons and a father in law in his 80's - so we blow the stats a bit. Bugaboos are OK - tho' they look complicated. The mix here seems right to me, enough youngsters to challenge an older crowd and encourage proper attitude to change, enough with full experience of life to add sage advice, enough entreprenuers to encourage growth. The good food and good bars keep me happy and the bugaboos don't get in my way. ED rules OK!

Frisco Wrote:

> I only stop there for the tip. Refined and sedate

> indeed.

Me too! There doesn't seem to be much else there, I've not really seen much evidence of all the wonderful cafes and bars (well, Cafe Rouge and The Rosendale).