Peckham Rye Lido

"7th February 2020

Positive progress to report!

In December we commissioned Fourth Street management consultants to undertake an outline operational business plan for rebuilding #Peckham #Lido. This work has now been completed and we?re in possession of an excellent piece of work. The report has raised many questions and areas that need further work, but Fourth Street?s conclusion is very exciting:

?On balance, we conclude that there is ample justification to believe that a redeveloped lido in Peckham Rye can produce a sustainable business that is not only viable in its own right but could generate a small surplus for reinvestment. The characteristics of the local market are encouraging for this type of offer and, as important, the concept goes with the grain of current trends in health and fitness generally and swimming in particular. Moreover, it is our considered view that Peckham Lido could be a significant economic asset for LB Southwark and for South #London, producing a valued new leisure destination, but also reinforcing the perception of Peckham as a great place to live and work and providing a powerful source of civic pride.?

We?re now looking to meet with #Southwark Council to review the work. After this we?ll be back with a further update.

Thank you for your ongoing patience."

• 3 years later...
33 minutes ago, alice said:

Location would be disastrous. In between 2 busy roads. And costs?  When all around cuts to basic services. 

Two busy roads with good bus interchanges for passengers to get to rather than driving 🤔, also the location of the old lido and I believe the plan was to crowd find it rather than rely on Southwark to run it . Nothing disastrous about any of that in my mind Alice 

It always had turnstiles so one assumes never free.

I just came across a report about what happened to the money from 2 years ago. 

https://www.peckhamryepark.org/news/2016/7/17/former-lido-site

Looks like it funded a feasibility study that shows it needed 6 million to deliver but of course we were in a pandemic then and cost of living crisis now so I am hoping that the scheme will be revisited in gje future as it will be great for the area. 

When we first moved into the area, going to the lido on a Sunday morning was great. Then lidos because unfashionable, Southwark concentrated on the indoor baths at Goose Green and it didn’t have a pressure group who championed it. The lido is still there, just filled in and the wooden changing rooms and entrance was taken down. If you look carefully there is a funny mound, this covers up a circular very 1930s fountain that stood at one end of it. You wouldn’t be starting to build a lido from scratch. It was really wonderful and  would be brilliant to get it going again.

• 8 months later...

I like the idea of a lido, provided it's accessible to all. I haven't been for a while now.   Do you have to book Brockwell lido in advance and or have they gone back to just queuing  to enter? 

Are you able to stay for as long as you wish or are there time slots.  Do teenagers  have access to these spaces? I can't see them booking in advance and time restrains would  not work for them...particularly if its costly. The last time I went to the lido it seemed to lack the diversity that it once had. 

I used to go to Brockwell all the time, but with lockdown it changed from being able to stay all day sunbathing and swimming to a limited lane swim time slot for the same price. This totally changed the relaxed vibe. It's also incredibly difficult to book online. If this has changed back I'd love to know. I really miss how it was. I guess it was an easy way to make a lot more money!