bus journey to central london from LL

bil

Dear all

I am considering leaving my beloved car at home to take the bus to work. I haven't used the bus in 2 years but recently used it a couple of times and the experience is much better than i remember. Besides with all the road humps, in my little car, my 20-30 minute journey is uncomfortable and tiring. AND it takes the same amount of time by bus (because of the bus lanes, which as a driver I abhor, but obviously appreciated when I "zoomed" by on the bus)

Anyway my questions are to those who have experience of using bus routes 185, 176, 12, 40 from dulwich library/plough area.

During rush hour are the buses very crowded? Do you have to let 1,2 or 3 pass by before you can get on? Are they frequent enough to be able to do that? Is your general experience good?

Much appreciated

Hi bil,

I started using the bus a few weeks ago - normally got train from West Dulwich. I can get from Dulwich Library to Fenchurch St on the number 40, anything from 40 mins to 1 hour - depends on what time i get to the bus stop at. If i get there about 7.40, I can get to Fenchurch at about 8.40. You can get a seat there, but as the journey goes towards the city, it does get really crowded.

I prefer it to the train/tube etc., just sit there and listen to music/read for a hour. Actually I am more relaxed going to work now, then I was making the other journey.

Buses are horrible. Buy a big SUV and you won't feel all those nasty bumps. In all seriousness, the cycle ride to the west end is a treat and takes half the time with many safe, pleasant and green routes to be found. I personally cannot stand the bus due to the amount of mobile phone music played on them.

Good morning all

Thank you for the advice. Avoid bus 12, I will only need to take one bus and, like muffins78, am looking forward to relaxing (preferably in a seat), reading a newspaper and listening to music . I think I will run back though. I used to cycle for many years and personally think the roads are way too busy (especially as i drive down these back roads myself). Once you get past LL it is bus lane all the way and i think my journey to work will only be 20-30 mins (depending on how long it takes for the bus to come). However, I need to leave 45 mins for my car journey to work so that I get in on time anyway.

Ratty: when you say mobile phone music-do you mean people listening on their mobile/ipods with earphones ? or people, usually school children, "kindly" sharing their (in my opinion) crap music with their friends (and other passengers) at a loud volume?

Where in central London do you have to get to?

The 185 is an easy enough route, but the really difficult bits with any of the LL buses is the crawl through Camberwell and the Walworth Road (bus lanes or not it's a nightmare). That alone can take 20 minutes and is worth trying to bypass. If you take the 176, the Strand/Trafalgar Square is no fun either. I prefer to get the bus to the nearest usable train station and zip into central that way - the trains can be sardine tins but it's quick - and equally, on a morning like today, when it was bright and gorgeous and I was able to get a window seat and gaze at the river and the Battersea dogs getting their early morning walks, it's a treat.

time of day is crucial - with the bus lanes in operation things whizz along pretty well

I'm a big advocate of bus travel - cheap and less restrictive than other forms. And the perception of crawling along Peckham or Walworth rd is sometimes compensated for by not needed to shclep around stations changing trains

BUT - I would not rely on buses alone. Getting used to hopping off buses and walking where appropriate is a big part of the reason I like them - so the 176 to Tot Court Rd? Get off at Waterloo Bridge and walk through Covent Garden for example.

Less time listening to tinny headphones and more time being healthy.

After decades of train and tube travel, switching to buses and walking has made be MUCH more chilled when I arrive at work or get home

going to vauxhall or elephant from LL, so train is likely to be longer and no scenic walking routes from S London (unless there is one i am not aware of). bus 40, 176 or 185 will get me there nicely. It has been so long since i used the bus but the views of (and into) buildings, shops & gardens (and even some homes-alot of people don't use privacy blinds/nets/blinds) is something i don't get to see when driving and concentrating on the road. I feel like i have been missing the sparkle of London by using my car. I literally go from A to Z without looking at anything in between.

having said that are there any quicker routes that can be suggested from ED to vauxhall or elephant & castle?

thanks Bil

Quickest route to the Elephant definitely is train from Denmark Hill - if you time it right. But in the morning you will almost definitely have to stand.

Could also get train from ED to London Bridge (12 mins) and then either bus or tube it down to the Elephant. Borough High Street is a mess though so tube would be quicker. 20mins round trip including changing from train to tube.

Well it really does depend on the time of day. Often it's difficult to even get on the LL buses as they're so crowded in the morning. I had no trouble this morning but Monday just gone was a joke! And despite the bus lanes, the traffic as you approach Camberwell, and where Camberwell Rd narrows into the Walworth Rd, can still be really prohibitive.

Off-peak I'd always take the bus to the Elephant as it's more relaxing but first thing in the morning it can be a complete nightmare.

Tis true that the days I take an extra 15 minutes in bed are really not worth it as the buses become SO much more packed

I don't think the solutions is more buses - the roads are plenty busy without even more buses. I just get up a bit earlier and enjoy more space and more time to get everything done.

I've started doing that. I start work at 9am but most days am in the office by 8.40, because it's just easier to get on a bus a bit earlier (and then get the earlier train). The Oh Sh*t We're Late rush pre-9am is exhausting, whatever your mode of transport.

I get the 176 every morning from Dulwich Police Station to Tottenham Court Road, I get on at about 7:15 and am usually at work by just after 8:00 - when I've had to get it slightly later then it has been very busy at taken longer. Coming home I get on the 176 on Charing Cross Road at about 17:00 and get home at about 18:15.

I like buses, in general, and use them daily. My advice is to get a bus pass or Oyster pay as you go (which is capped at a daily bus pas rate if you use enough buses) and travel early/outside rush hour. Right now, part of Rye Lane near the Pulse is up, so that adds about 5-10 mins to a journey on teh 12. The 176 in the morning after 8 is packed and stops a lot. I hop on the first one and change as necessary. A good option is the 63/363 to Elephant if you live near to FH Road. N

The advantage of the 12 is that it's possible to work your way through one of the Russian classics (say Dr Zhivago, War and Peace, Brothers Karamazov) in just one journey. Plus the bendy bus is uncomfortable so keeps you awake through any lengthy description of familial relationships in feudal Russia.

bil Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Anyway my questions are to those who have

> experience of using bus routes 185, 176, 12, 40

> from dulwich library/plough area.

> During rush hour are the buses very crowded? Do

> you have to let 1,2 or 3 pass by before you can

> get on? Are they frequent enough to be able to do

> that? Is your general experience good?

Personally I think transport from ED is good.

I have tried using both the 176 and the 12. The 176 takes around 50 mins to get to the Strand from LL (stop across from the Palmerston) although there seems to be fewer of these than the 12. If its before 7:45 its ok but can get really busy afterwards and full buses fly by without stopping.

The 12 takes around 45 minutes to Trafalgar Square from Barry Road (Uplands end). I think if you catch it before it turns off Barry Road you can usually find a seat.

On the way home - I tend to find the 176 marginally less stressful than the 12, although there seems to be a longer wait.