Barclays Bank - 68-70 Lordship Lane

As the Woolwich and Barclays are within 300m of each other one of them was due to close.

The Land Registry doesn't yet have the price paid for 68-70 Lordship Lane.

It's an interesting site as it's the first suitable site in Lordship Lane (is it?) to have been sold since the change in the planning zone criteria which means it can be redeveloped as a four storey building.

The actual Barclay's building has been revamped inside - when my teenage son went in to open an account a few weeks ago he was told that the Woolwich would close and some staff would be moving across to join the Braclay's team. Barcalys & Woolwich are defintely merging in some form - I keep getting junk mail about it.

i think the sale of the Barclays unit was a 'for sale - business not affected' transaction - basically a property investor buying the site to add to his 'portfolio' having a blue chip client like Barclays will add value enabling him / her / them to borrow against the site - the same principle as the sale of Canary Wharf skyscrapers (but on a smaller scale)

My understanding was that the freehold interest of the barclay's site was sold at auction (and the purpose for buying the freehold is probably what mikese22 says above). If this is the case though, whoever bought it wouldnt terminate barclay's lease as they are probably very good tenants - unless of course barclays decided to quit themselves.... the plot thickens....

I'm reliably informed by a HSBC business manking manager that the Woolwich are dfinately moving into the Barclays building. HSBC were interested in relocating to the Woolwich building and having a dedicated business banking section upstairs. However, I am now led to believe that HSBC will not be moving after all. So the usual aweful cramped 45 minute wait in there applies as usual.

SeanMacGabhann Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Thanks Mike - informative, probably accurate,

> intersesting... and yet, mildly disappointing news

> (ie not a 4-floor

> sushi-lap-dancing-gayfriendly-nightclub then?)

sorry was a bit dull wasn't it!

i'm still trying to get my head round th sushi lap dancing - would the girls be holding sushi whilst gyrating or would the punter be eating the sushi whilst watching - would be somthing to do with the hands anyway and ensure that the 'look don't touch' rule was obeyed ;-)