Your little girl's "bits"

Fanny-Ann (courtesy of my Granny), Fanjo or much more usually - Vagina. (No surprises there!)

Never heard of Minky though, too close to 'Monkey' for my liking. Nooooooooooo!

HH, your post made me laugh out loud - I seem to spend my whole life saying "don't say 'bum' say 'bottom'" to my kids. It's become something of a family catchphrase over the years. I can just see their faces if I started to call a vagina "front-bum", I might just try it just to see the look on their faces!

I have a boy - but like Keef I will use correct terminology. (By the way - the outer bits are actually vulva and not vagina.) I can't help it- my mom was a nurse and I was raised to use the correct words. In fact, I wasn't allowed to say that a baby was in someones belly. My mom always corrected me and said "No, the baby is in her uterus." I was probably the only toddler who knew what a uterus was!

My mom also used to make us watch a video called "Strong Kids Safe Kids" starring The Fonz. A man with a guitar played a song about the names for all of the private parts. I still remember the verse on vulva:

Vulva is what girls have down below

Vulva is the proper word to know

So know matter how you say it, Just make sure you know

Vulva is what girls have down below.

Hilarious. My sister and I sometimes still watch it for sh!ts and giggles.

In all seriousness, looking back it was actually a great video and says a lot that my sister and I both still remember it.

Have now completely strayed from topic, but there you go.

-A

Our girls must all be so confused by the lack of consistency!

Loving the 'vulva' rhyme in all its silliness. That was the word the scanning man used to confirm the sex of our daughter at the 17 week scan. "I am sure its a girl: that's a vulva". We were both a bit taken aback. Not sure why exactly, but probably not as taken aback as we would have been had he come out with 'fanny fanackers'.