Best pub to smoke [outside] at?

Well as I say, the underlying belief is there because it just seems obvious that it's true - unless smokers' lungs do filter out all of the unpleasantness.

I think it's a bit paranoid to say that passive smoking and workers' rights are just tools used to bring in the ban, though, they are perfectly legitimate reasons to ban smoking in public places in their own right.

Well, quite JC, and I agree with the ban.

However that's my point: it just 'seems obvious'. There isn't any research that proves that passive smoking is any more lethal than farts or red cushions. The research covers children growing up in closed households in the fifties and sixties with parents who enjoyed eighty a day habits on capstan full strength.

That's like saying you shouldn't drink water because people drown in oceans.

It's not safe to assume that small doses are a slow death alternative to the big brother. The pick-me-up in tonic water is (after all) a low dose of the lethal poison quinine.

Experience tells me that people who don't like the smell of smoke are perfectly prepared to believe that smoke is a murderous posion chewing away at their very existence. Once one believes that, the emoptional response can drive behaviour quite out of proportion with the threat, making pubs quite intolerable at smoke levels that are negligible. It's like the monster in the closet - it doesn't need to be real to be terrifying.

For me though, they're currently in the same cabinet as those who believe that mobile phones boil your brain and wifi stunts your growth. Plausible but unproven.

I support the ban because it'll stop me smoking ;-)

"Experience tells me that people who don't like the smell of smoke are perfectly prepared to believe that smoke is a murderous posion chewing away at their very existence. Once one believes that, the emoptional response can drive behaviour quite out of proportion with the threat, making pubs quite intolerable at smoke levels that are negligible. It's like the monster in the closet - it doesn't need to be real to be terrifying"

I'm an ex-smoker, and I can't stand those people who take huge moral offence to the whole thing - makes you want to punch their lights out. Unfortunately, getting banged up is notoriously bad for your health!

The Health side of the debate is (in my opinion) way overplayed. My belief is that secondary smoke DOES have an impact on my health but that has never truly bothered me. As people have pointed out, my alcohol intake is sufficient to ensure my health is already less than perfect

But as I've said before - the reason I am glad the choice has been taken away from smokers (no way of saying that nice - I still love my smoker friends) is the same reason I'm glad it's not allowed in buses and offices anymore. The argument that pubs are different holds some water but, as pubs have evolved, that reason too is now moot