Best pub to smoke [outside] at?

A bit off topic but...

Re the portable ashtrays, Southwark Council are handing out Pouches for storing your butts in until you can dispose of them. Go to the Town Hall on Peckham Road and ask for one at reception.

They are called "Stubbi's" i think!

Yeah.. someone was handing them out several months back (as a 'tester'). Little snap-open pouches with a heat resistant lining.

The verdict was that whilst it was good to have something to put your fag out with other than the street, you still had to carry round a small pouch which inevitably smelled of dirty old fag butts. So not really a winner. But then if you insist on being a SOCIAL PARIAH these days then smelling of rancid dog-ends is all you deserve.

BTW, The plough heaters are electric wall mounted fan heaters about 2.5m long and there are 2 of them, so you can all sit in the warmth, rather than one person getting scorched while the other freeze their knackers off.

I sound like a complete geek, but I was quite impressed. make me want to smoke full time so I can go and sit out there.

Now what they need to do is find a way to stop people throwing gum away on the street. It makes more mess than cigarettes ever will and is much more foul.

My advice is start smoking a pipe. No messy filters and fewer chemicals.

RE: Stubbis, they really good, you put the butt in (still lit), and close the pouch. It staves the fag of air, so it goes out. You can fit about 5 in there, and it doesn't smell. A good invention, and I'm going to start remembering to carry mine about with me now!

So, it would seem my plans are foiled re: the portable ashtrays and there I was trying to be a smoker with a social conscience. So, I'll just flick my ash and fag butts and generally blow my smoke at in the general direction of deeply irritating people like *Bob* who probably waves his hands frantically in front of his nose and coughs in front of people like me who have made us smokers into "social pariahs." But, I will be investing in one of those Stubbs pouches. By the way the outside of my office now resembles a leper colony. Grrr!.

For the benefit of Jah and any others who have trouble reading 'between the lines' to ascertain the tone of a posting, here it is again:

The verdict was that whilst it was good to have something to put your fag out with other than the street, you still had to carry round a small pouch which inevitably smelled of dirty old fag butts. So not really a winner. But then if you insist on being a SOCIAL PARIAH these days then smelling of rancid dog-ends is all you deserve:)-DB):));-) etc etc

When I tried a Stubbi (that's right.. with a fag I was SMOKING, everyone), it seemed ok. But I'd forgotten than this was because I'd just smoked a fag, and that all my clothes, hair, skin and nose smelled of fags. When I re-discovered the Stubbi in my jacket pocket first thing the next morning, it reeked.

Hee Hee!

Jah and I have now smoked the pipe of peace. It was simply a misunderstanding, mostly due to excessive nicotine levels in the brain. Or was it the lack of them?

All is well (apart from our lungs).

I'm not trying to quit. I only smoke about 5 cigarettes a week and I thoroughly enjoy them. If others cannot control their unnatural urges and have to smoke nigh on twenty a day, stinking out the pubs and restaurants and killing themselves and everyone they come into contact with, why should I have to suffer, little old me with my neat and tidy fag habit that doesn't harm anyone? My crack habit on the other hand, well that's a different story.

Well, Asset, to be fair, how you ingest said crack is what will tip the balance of my opinion

To be more serious (and to let Tillie know I'm only teasing - partly) I guess a lot of the anti-anti-smoking comments have, to my ears, lacked a wider context. I know many courteous smokers who have never, ever been a problem. And I feel for them

But this isn't Britain being a nanny-state. This legislation has come into force in countries which I NEVER would have thought would have even considered it. Ireland especially. But there it is... the world has changed. As it always does. And in this instance it is not popular opinion being disregarded, but the wish of the many

However, should any of you smokers ever cross my threshold I'm sure I could find an ashtray...

PS - I may even share a smoke with the smokers tomorrow night as a very poor form of solidarity?

Hmph. Pudding.

My recall of passive smoking arguments were that they relied unreasonably on twenty year histories of children living within closed door environments. The consequences were extrapolated pro-rata to establish a threat to all individuals (mainly adult) in open door occasional encounters. The legislation is based on health and safety at work.

There are plenty of adult employment environments where the risks exceed those created by smoke that haven't been targeted by simlar legislation. Mining etc.

Despite my casual commitment to a tab, I support such tendentious weapons to prevent me engaging in such a self destructive habit. If they said they were doing it for me I'd have cried self-determination, and in twenty years I'd be choking on emphysema.

So damn you all, and cheers! :))

SeanMacGabhann Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> because "we" is never ALL of us... C'maaahhn - you

> smokers have had your time - be happy for us.

> You're even trying to quit so you know we are

> right....

>

> :)-D

F**k off!!!

;-)

I'm not going to argue about the smoking ban, but don't you non smokers realise that being smug about this is only going to make us hate you at this time of craving!!!!!! I'm a man on the edge! :-S

just a small thought re: the debate around whether passive smoking is actually harmful.

Most smokers accept that smoking is harmful for them, because of all the bad things in cigarettes. But to those who doubt the harmful effects of passive smoking, I ask: do you really believe that your lungs filter out all of the bad stuff in fags, and that you what you exhale is therefore harmless?

No, JC, I've no doubt that smoke is bad all round, although I can't speak for others.

It's always been a question of proportionality for me, I find the righteous rage of the anti smoking brigade to be quite out of proportion with any documented threat. I've had people walk up to me in pubs when I'd sparked up and launch such verbal and emotional assaults that you'd think I punched them in the face.

As I've said I believe the anti-smoking legislation targets the health of smokers, but lacks traction from a direct attack.

The ideas of passive smoking and workers rights are much more emotive concepts that engage social pressure and talk about 'giving' rights to non-smokers rather than 'taking' them from smokers. The case for the danger of passive smoking in a public environment has never been made because it didn't need to be, the underlying belief was there and it only needed a little push.

I'm not impressed by politicians that win such easy battles. My conviction is that there are much larger issues that need to be addressed which will have a considerably better impact on the health of the nation: private vehicles, energy policy, resource management. Nobody's tackling these issues...