Best pub to smoke [outside] at?

that's probably because they're trying to get on with their neighbours. I think they're open until midnight on Friday and Sat.

Blimey Alachan (woops called you alan ..?) you're very devil may care - wooh wooh you crazy libertarian anarchist. I bet you pluck your teeth at recycling and - heck - throw your bagged salad away. With your attitude to coats I think you might enjoy the Quayside in Newcastle. You'd better watch out - you may be hounded out of the area!

According to Darren Johnson:

?Outdoor heaters are an extraordinary waste of energy and carbon emissions. As well as heating outdoor space they also warm the climate. Each patio heater generates 2.2 tonnes of carbon dioxide on average per year ? the equivalent to driving a car for over 6,000 miles.?

Still, I'm sure you've a list of things you intend to do if people tell you you shouldn't. Smoking's cool.

bawdy-nan Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

Smoking's

> cool.

Smoking is indeed cool. You can't get away from that fact. It is a universal truth like the fact that farting is funny.

On the subject of heaters though. What happened to just making a fire in a barrel?

BN - I'm not a fan of Darren Johnson,he's the least likeable Green I know, but the figures seem right. Heating the outside just seems an insane thing to do with the impending disaster of climate change about to f*** up the planet.

Brendan - I'd go for the fire too, not sure on the carbon emissions for that, but all wood releases carbon when it rots anyway.

Why would I want to make my living room stink - that's what pubs used to be for!

I have those recycling bins and use them appropriately (for clarity that is I put the correct things in the correct boxes and leave them out on the right days).

I can see why a 15 year old might go and do things because they are told not to; that I am not!

While we're talking of heating the outside (and I agree that garden heaters a tremendously injudicious use of gas*, but I have occasionally been self centred enough to appreciate the presence of one) I'm sure much much much more serious is where we try to cool the outside.

Everytime the sun comes out people in the office where I work have a habit of opening windows, this means as the air-con kicks in it's basically attempting to cool down the entire N1 area. I'm pretty sure we're not alone.

*To avoid being at the mercy of the russians we're building a huge gas storage centre in south wales, absolutely enourmous ships to transport the gas cooled to a liquid from the middle east and africa, and an impressive network of pipes to transport the gas to the big population centres for distribution.

All at costs equivalent to that of the olympics and trident. Though it's impressive that we can actually still do big engineering projects when it matters, it is depressing that a) we have to because of our continued dependence on carbon based energy and b) barely anyone even knows about it, far too boring to make the papers.

Having said all that I can't abide cooking on electric hobs!! ;)

I just got my results today for my law degree, I got a 2:1, so I'm gona get a job (eventually), buy nothing I don't need so can save up enough money to buy a bit of land, then head for them thar hills, and leave the patio heating, 4 x 4 driving, high energy consuming peeps to the floods, famine (after peak oil raises prices of imported food thru the roof - we don't grow food here) and the ice-age.

not on Sunday's no (the food being any good that is - not the heaters)

Haven't been for a while during the week but was "fine" last time I tried

Dulwich Village is a shocking place to find any kind of good food to eat it has to be said.... Never ever ever, no matter how many "under new management" signs you see go to the restaurant next door (shudders)

Yep - good clean pipes so the beer tasted of beer and unlike the CPT no wonkyness the following day.

A few questions for you all loosly based on this thread:

1. Is it fair to expect someone who wishes to sit outside (smoker or non-smoker) to be cold? If heating is possible and it encourages people to spend money in our community is this an issue?

2. Are the individual benefits of smoke free pubs greater than the potential damage done to the enviroment by outside heaters?

3. Is this feverish concern about the enviroment actually the biggest threat to global economic stability or is is simply the start of a new industry which will eventually replace the oil industry?

Bit of a big one that, and sure to be lounged.

Well it was headed for the lounge anyway.

1. Couldn't give a monkey's if they're cold frankly.

2. Difficult one that. Short term financially yes. Long term who knows.

3. No. Industries may spring off the back of the need for change, that's called ingenuity, but global warming is real and caused by us. Interesting that in recent poll 53% doubt humans as the cause of climate change many citing new industrial conspiracies, whereas now there are simply no naysayers in the scientific community (plenty in the pseudo science misinformation community, mostly paid for by the likes of Exxon)

Maybe - I still like to think that as the oil industry declines the alternative energy grows, eventually replacing it.

All a bit karma-esque. I must have a bit of hippy in me.....

I shall pop to The Plough later and get them to put a bank of windmills on the roof to power the smokers heaters.

The neighbours will hate it, but as its for the benefit of the enviroment, they can't complain...!

Congrats ChavWiva2:1!!!!!!!!

On to the original question, The Plough seems to be the best idea for a dry smoke! CPT has the nicest outside seating in ED (When it's warm), and The Dog if you're nearer the village.

As for the heaters, I don't like them, I get scared I'm going to burn my head when I walk past!!!!

Interesting environmental points... What about all the butts that are being thrown on the streets outside pubs now!!!!

I'm thinking of working on an idea for portable ashtrays for smokers. Can't think why anyone hasn't come up with the idea before. I smoke and I can't stand it when people stub their cigarettes out on the floor especially when there are ashtrays provided but you can get fined ?50 and upwards just for stubbing you ciggie out on the street!

Jah - not sure of the details but a friend of mine in Devon says he and his wife already use portable ashtrays - don't know how exclusive a market would be

As for the butt problem outside pubs - aren't there litter laws already in place to deal with people who do this? Not that all smokers are litter bugs of course