newborn cold relievers - are there any?

ryedalema

Littlest daughter (8 weeks) has a horrid cold, which is affecting her ability to feed as she can't really breathe through her nose, while having something in her mouth. I've put a bit of Vicks vapour rub on the outside of her baby gro, so it's not on her skin, which seems to be helping with the breathing. Does anyone know if there are any products out there that I can use to help her ease the congestion?

Calpol makes a saline nasal spray that is meant to relieve nasal congestion for tiny babies. I haven't used it yet, so can't comment on effectiveness, but got some in when both Mr Serious and I came down with colds. Fingers crossed, but not-very-serious baby seems to have escaped it!

I bought mine at Lloyds pharmacy on Northcross Road, but I'm sure it's stocked everywhere.

Thanks all for these suggestions. I'll have a look at Vapourisers - are these just steam, or with eucalyptus or something? I have plug in ones, but they don't seem very strong/effective, and will take a trip to NCR pharmacy later today when the rain stops (hopefully).

I've looked at those aspiration tube thingies - they seem a bit gruesome, are they really effective then?

Saline drops are good to use just before a feed - during the feed they take deep breaths through the nose and can clear the mucus that the saline has softened.

Don't know if it'd be worth paying out the extra for the calpol branding - regular saline drops should be available in the chemist as well.

know what you mean about brand name buggie - i think the advantage is that it's a spray though, which can be easier to administer (at least I find it with a v wriggly baby!).

Other things we do (baby has constant cold at the moment): snufflebabe on chest (vicks for babies); karvol plug in; raise cot mattress at night (is your baby still in a moses basket? could just fold a blanket and pop under the head of the mattress if so). And when it's bad, calpol (but think you're more asking about the congestedness?). As far as I know there aren't any other medicinal options (ie decongestant) until they're bigger.

You can get something called Snufflebabe which is Vicks for babies - not sure if you can use it at 8 weeks, but you could check at the chemist?

You put it on their chest and leave top of babygrow open.

You can also put a few drops of Olbas Oil on a muslin and tie it onto the bars of the cot, out of babies reach, or on a tissue and put it under the cot sheet.

Hope this helps.

Molly

Karvol on a muslin (or old sock) tied to top of cot worked best for us.

Also Not a "remedy" but you can try to suck the mucus out of her nose - I know a friend that does this err, directly, otherwise you can buy an odd lookign device to do it.

Finally, have you put a few books under the head of her cot - this will help her nose drain.

njc97 and crystal7 - ew, ew, ew! I've heard of people doing that too - that's love for you. I guess if you see your baby being unable to breathe you'll do anything to relieve their discomfort. I might give something else a try first though :-)

Have just bought Calpol nasal spray and Olbas oil for kids - couldn't find Snugglebabe in Sainsbury's so will have to try again tomorrow.

I remember now having one of those Vicks vapourisers when I was a kid - a very lasting memory of my Ma looking after me when I was sick. I'll try and get one from Amazon to pass on the love to the next generation - aah.

We've always used a gadget known in our house as a "snot sucker"... bulb like thing that you squeeze, seal off the other nostril and release - very effective for drawing out the nasties and great for using before a feed. I still use it now on my two who think it's hilarious!