The Woolwich Bank closing

By now on this forum (and I'm looking at you regulars James & Louisa! ;-) ) we know which shops will bother us - do we need to repeat it every time? Let's start a thread investors/business people can read which shows what we do want and how many of us would frequent the place should it open

Sorry - it's just as soon as the word gift shop or yummy mummy is mentioned the next 2 pages can be ignored as it will be all of us going "not ANOTHER ....."

Sean there have been threads called "what people would like to see", however they always end up with other people disagreeing, and the old arguements start again. Tiresome I know, but people have the right to their opinions I guess, and if they feel strongly, they won't stop because some of us a bored of it...

Nor should they really, otherwise we'll all just end up being nodding dogs, and forgetting our right to argue.

I cannot personally see how a designer shoe shop could possibly be viable in ED. Sean, I know it sounds quite repeatative, but I have made lots of suggestions for future shops locally and yet it appears the agenda has already been set in motion by the various people/businesses who own the freehold on many of these units along LL.

True - lots of suggestions have been made for other businesses (But if we aren't brave/rich enough ourselves to risk it ourselves.....)

I don't think its an agenda - these shops must make money (I have no idea how as I never see them busy with people handing over cash) - but they couldn't keep opening with rents as they are otherwise. And I'm not even against them - I have no use for them but they certainly look better than a fly-posted window.

That said, the kitchen shop is full of stuff I WOULD love to buy - I just can't afford it

Maybe in the future we will all talk of the gift-shop boom of the early 21st century before the crash

I'd like to see a shop selling effigies/puppets/voodoo dolls of people from this forum, so we can kiss/smile at/shout at/stab/burn small versions of ourselves whilst reading and writing. Yes it's a bit weird but that's got to be better than more estate agents and white goods piffle. ap

The great thing about Lordship Lane is the diversity. The Sea Cow is next door to a Fried Chicken outlet. Near le Chardin is a joint called Speedo Pizza, near Mon P'tit Chou is a the Tulip Cafe. Opposite William Rose is a Tyre Fitters for gods sake. LL is not St. John's Wood High street. A posh place this is not. Next time you are out and about don't look for Crocs and Yummies - look at the, how shall i put this, women of the older generation. Notice what you see.

citizen

citizenED Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The great thing about Lordship Lane is the

> diversity. The Sea Cow is next door to a Fried

> Chicken outlet. Near le Chardin is a joint called

> Speedo Pizza, near Mon P'tit Chou is a the Tulip

> Cafe. Opposite William Rose is a Tyre Fitters for

> gods sake. LL is not St. John's Wood High street.

> A posh place this is not. Next time you are out

> and about don't look for Crocs and Yummies - look

> at the, how shall i put this, women of the older

> generation. Notice what you see.

>

> citizen

Citizen. I agree - have spent time this evening distributing EDF cards with my son (he earns the pocket money - I get to transport him to and fro). People caricature ED as a yuppie haven - designer buggies, kitchen upgrades, electric cars. It was marked today how many houses / flats were clearly unyuppified, homes to an older generation - lived in and cared for but not a recent buy to let or development property. Similarly the people returning home were ordinary, average people. Not wealthy young executives but mothers with prams, tired women with shopping, pensioners walking a dog, dads with children. It was good to see and be part of a very diverse community.

I agree with MM. There is a lot of diversity in East Dulwich. I often see elderly people, pass by houses that remind me of my mum's and nana's in a working-class areas of Stockport and hear different languages spoken. Some of the houses near to me in the Upper East Side, on Crystal Palace, Dunstan's and Friern Road even look down at heel. I've never thought that E D will become like Clapham where practically every house is House and Garden'd. Nero

Yeah... didn't mean to sound like a tw@t, btw. But people here often draw comparisons with Clapham, and the truth is that the property in Clapham is really much more mixed than ED. Sure you have some nice roads with expensive, well maintained properties - but you also have some horrible roads, and pretty rough estates.