Windsor Walk, Denmark Hill Station

I thought it was because parts of the bridge fell onto the platform below: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/410610/141023_R232014_Denmark_Hill.pdf

Having read the report however, this turns out not to be the current reason for closure. Unfortunately can't help with when it might reopen but there has certainly been some activity behind the barriers of late.

Edited to correct my error. From the report:

"58 The incident bridge was closed to road traffic by Network Rail in August 2014, and remained closed to road traf c at the publication date of this RAIB report, for a reason which is unrelated to defects in the concrete cladding of the bridge beams."

• 2 months later...
Bloody annoying that it remains closed from a motorists point of view - I don't use it, but quite a number of cars that can't use it make sudden u-turns to get back into Grove Lane which I think is very dangerous (and are mostly illegal).

It doesn't directly effect me, but the principle irks me. When the bridge on Camberwell Grove closed, we were told that the width / weight restrictions put in would be temporary. The bridge never fully re-opened. Now a bridge a little further along has also been closed. It seems the infrastructure is just allowed to deteriorate over time. Where's the accountability?

Seems that Southwark Council believe that the bridge is closed due to cracking - minutes of 9 Sep 2015 meeting

http://moderngov.southwark.gov.uk/documents/g5083/Printed%20minutes%20Wednesday%2009-Sep-2015%2019.00%20Camberwell%20Community%20Council.pdf?T=1

Q4. A resident asked when would Windsor Walk be re-opened to traffic. In response, Councillor Mark Williams, explained that the bridge over Windsor Walk was cracked and Network Rail had to get a new one built which was taking time.

mikeb Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> A resident asked when would Windsor Walk be

> re-opened to traffic. In response, Councillor Mark

> Williams, explained that the bridge over Windsor

> Walk was cracked and Network Rail had to get a new

> one built which was taking time.

The same thing was said about Camberwell Grove and it never fully reopened. If the bridge if cracked as a result of the huge trucks and heavy machinery used in the developments on Windsor Walk, I do hope that some contribution from the builders will be levied.

In my opinion, if Network Rail cannot or will not repair / maintain the road bridges, then control should be passed over to someone else.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
As a pedestrian and cyclist I have very much enjoyed the absence of traffic swooping round the corner and down that road as a cut through....particularly during rush hours when there are lots of people trying to get to/ from their train (or to the Phoenix pub)! But I guess this has been a gifted period of peace that shouldn't really have been......

The closure of Windsor Walk is a pain but the restriction on Camberwell Grove is great. We used to live in a flat near the top and experienced it before and after the restriction. The fact that lorries and large vehicles can't use it is great and it's much less of a rat run than it used to be. You can still use it in a car without any problems.

Not really the point though. Just because some people prefer the restrictions, this shouldn't be the way they're implemented.. Just by the inaction / incompetence of national rail. If a road is to be closed it should be done as part of a delineate decision, taken thoughtfully and in consultation with the public.